Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to resurrect this issue again, but I've done a search for posts on windscreens.

I'm considering replacing the OE windscreen with either a Powerbronze or Touratech windscreen. I've emailed Powerbronze who quoted me a complete price of 118 USD including shipping which costs more than the windscreen. Touratech-USA quoted me a price of 130 USD. For me, the two price$ are a wash.

Being here in the States, my issue is returning the windscreens if there is an issue with installation. I will not be able to return the Touratech windscreen because they would not be able to sell it to anyone here in the States. Shipping time back to Powerbronze is also an issue and restocking fee.

I have noticed most of the posts are related to the Powerbronze windscreen. Only KEIFER posted that he (assuming KEIFER is a he) has a Touratech windscreen.

1. Does anyone else have a Touratech windscreen and how do they like it?

2. Did both the Touratech and Powerbronze windscreens install easily or did you have to make modifications to the windscreen in order to install it?

3. How much difference in height is the Touratech and Powerbronze windscreen over the OE windscreen.

I currently don't have an issue with the OE windscreen. The reason I want to replace the OE windscreen is that I am planning a trip to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska next year. Anyone want to come?

To get to Prudhoe Bay, you need to drive a mostly unpaved (small sections are paved) 414 mile gravel road known as the Dalton Highway which is mainly used as supply road for the North Slope oil fields. Huge lorries kick up a lot of dirt, dust, and mud and I am hoping a taller windscreen will prevent me from being covered in too much muck.

My AT is a year 2000.

Thanks for any input and my offer still stands if anyone wants to come over to the States for a 3-week trip to Alaska, June-July 06.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Have you considered the TT windscreen spoiler as an option?
Strange, but he TT website and their catalog do not give any measurements of the high screen your interested in. I know the stock is 310 mm and the MRA (touringscreen) in the pic on my AT is 385 mm measured down the centerline. The TT screen appears to sit more vertical
than the MRA.

http://www.mra.de

If your going through Calgary on your AK trip make sure you drop me a line.

S

·
0 Posts
I used a TT spoiler before changing to a Powerbronze windscreen. Functionaly the two work pretty much the same.

S

·
0 Posts
I just got the Powerbronze and it was easy to fit. The only hard bit is removing the rubber gromits from the original screen and getting them into the new one. Make sure you go for the clear or light tint and i've heard the dark tint just gets in the way. I'm rather tall and could do with the screen being an inch or 2 bigger so i might add a spoiler to it at a later date. But it definitly works. You can ride along with the visor up to illegal speeds no problem and its actually quieter like this than with the visor down. Strange!

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
I've got a powerbronze too but do find I still get a wind kicking most of the time unless I hunker down behind it. I might try the TT spoiler but then there is also the MRA one - Anyone got any opinions?

Agree on colour choice too - but there's always that green colour... :shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Is there a pic of the TT spoiler. Samih had a spoiler added to his screen. I think i'll just make one myself and try it. My younger brother rode the bike the other week, and he being smaller than me found the powerbronze screen perfect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
screens

Hi I go along with simons comments. I have the powerbronze flip screen. Im 6'6' and can ride along with the visor up with no probs. However I personally would love the screen to be 2-3cm wider and 1-2 cm longer but that only because I cannt hide completely behind it.......I should have bought a car!!! :lol: I have had no probs at all fitting it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a MRA Vario Touring screen which works brilliantly - I'm 2.03m. I'm just not convinced that it's sturdy enough for off-road riding, therefore I always remove the top bit when I go off-road. That still leaves you with a screen as tall as the original.

It fits without any trouble.

Alternatively you could go for something like this :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Think i'll try and make something like the first one myself and if it works you can have one too Phoenix.

·
Registered
282 Posts
screen

Hi Simon
thanks for that thought. I think I'll just contact the police riot team and borrow one of their see through riot shields........ just the job I think.
:p

·
Registered
312 Posts
I replaced the standard screen on my AT which I found to be crap at higher speeds (I'm 5' 8") with a MRA Vario screen which was excellant until some t**t stole the bike.

My newer 96 bike has a powerbronze fitted which also works ok but not as good as the MRA Vario', its also a bit ugly in my opinion. However the worst thing about the screen is that its opaque black and restricts the view especially when in traffic and you are closely following vehicles.

This is something I'd never thought about until I first rode the bike but you'd be surprised at how much you look 'through' rather than 'over' the screen. You get used to it somewhat but I'll definately be getting another MRA Vario' soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts