Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode a 97 TA today which I might buy. Was all pretty good except from 25 mph up I could not believe the amount of wind noise in my Arai! It has a Givi touring (I think) screen, definitely higher than original, & the noise was unbearable. I'm about 5' 10 & a bit. Is the original low screen quieter or would higher screen work better? Could not bear it as it is.
Thanks.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I bought a larger screen than the original and although the buffeting was less, the noise was unbearable.
It was a while back but as I recall, I drew on it with a marker to make it a bit lower and jigsawed it.
It worked.....still a windy day every ride but much better. I hope that shows it, I've got other photos but I can't find them

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful thanks. Both the bikes I'm considering have taller than original screens. Seems from reading all the above that standard or even cut-down would suit me best. Maybe try a (horizontal?) deflector on the taller screen 1st, assuming I do buy either of the bikes.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
screens are very personal. it depends on so many things, helmet, earplugs, speed, temperature, deafness, seat height, rider height etc

there is not one "best" screen for any bike. it's all down to personal preference and experimentation

some people like "smooth" airflow (short screen), some people like the airflow to go over their heads, some people like to look through the screen, others dont

etc etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What amazed me was the low speed the turbulence/noise started at - 25mph. I wasn't being buffeted, although my short test route was no more than 40 mph & it wasn't a windy day.
Almost as though there was some other cause. Was wondering whether, as the front indicators had been swapped for tiny LED ones & the resulting holes in the fairing had been covered with mesh, could air be rushing in & rattling the fairing? Really weird.
I might ask for another test ride with screen removed & indicator holes taped over. Would want to refit orig type indicators anyway. Of course that would leave 4 holes in the bodywork. It's the repainted blue '97 priced @ £1895 on Gumtree you outed recently. Was sold to the current seller off ebay on 25/7 for £1254 but he's done a load of mechanical work on it. Rads/carbs/XR600 rear shock/clutch/discs & wheels. I'm wanting a bit off the asking price but would have to spend on hand guards/grips/mirrors/ indicators/Givi pannier racks & poss a low screen. Top of tank is dented & paint not great & don't know what horrors await the peeling off of the tank protector pads. I hate those things!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I might ask for another test ride with screen removed & indicator holes taped over
i can't see many sellers being willing to do that

repainted transalps are not worth as much. better off getting one in original colours

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting - I asked would £1700 do it & he declined but texted later offering it for £1750.
However, having slept on it I don't really like it that much - the turbulence from 25 mph was alarming. Would need to spend on hand guards, grips, mirrors, indicators, possibly low screen, Givi pannier rails (I've got the boxes), preferably a centre stand. The paint is not very good & top of tank is dented. It does now have an original exhaust which looks in good condition.
Regarding the mileage, the story is that the bike was in France for some years, stored in a barn, for the owner to use when he was on holiday there, hence low miles & no mot history.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
if its a genuine 20,000 miles and he hasn't sold it already then something must be putting people off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I rode my newly acquired '94 for the 1st time today (see the ebay/gumtree thread today) for a 40 mile shakedown jaunt & yes, it's a nice machine in terms of engine, gearbox, handling, ergonomics etc, brakes only fair but ok.
However, I do not want to ride it again until that Powerbronze touring screen is either gone or modified. The noise from 25mph up is unbearable. Same as the '97 I test rode with a Givi touring screen. Popped in some admittedly cheap earplugs but not really any better & couldn't hear the engine at all then. The screen does keep the wind blast off me quite well but I'd take that any day to get rid of the noise. How anyone could live with that I don't know.
Got to sort this asap, is the low screen quieter, don't care about wind protection, just want a quiet life?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
could be your helmet? i would try one of those cheap screen extenders?

eg

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
single disc transalp 600 brakes are always a bit crap, braided hoses make a lot of difference

1 - 20 of 22 Posts