Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wear a 1 yr old Arai Debut. Will try my retired Arai Axces & my trail riding lid, an Arai Tour X but I doubt the peak on that will help. I don't think Arai's are the quietest but they suit me. Will look at the spoilers.

Planning to put a single length braided brake hose on the front.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Lower/no screens are often quieter.
Maybe try to source an original shaped screen?

On the 650, I find the stock screen with a clip on deflector adjusted horizontally works quite well but my naked cbf500 is joyful for the relative lack of wind noise & buffetting!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, for £16.50 I thought it might be worth trying a deflector. Should be here in a couple of days. Interesting, if I crouch down a bit or sit bolt upright the noise is much reduced - bearable even. If I open the visor on my Arai Debut it is also better. Can't ride in any of those situations of course! My Arai Tour-X was quieter but the increase in buffeting rules that out. Probably the visor.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I find my naked CB750F2N retro roadster is much quieter with no screen or mini screen, assume the wind is laminar until it hits the helmet with no screen and is turbulent with screens.
Even on the naked TA with a mini screen it is noisier, as is the Africa. When I had a Varadero with the normal screen it was noisy, less than the AT, but a deflector made it much quieter. Must try the deflector on the AT sometime but expect it will not be much use as the AT screen is lower than the Varadero screen.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
buffetting and noise etc are a big problem for adventure bikes, as due to the seating position you sit higher up, perched on the seat, as oppose to the more aerodynamic seating position of road/race bikes

the only real solution is to have no screen at all (but you WILL get cold in the winter) or have a huge screen/deflectors that you can sit behind

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have fitted my £16 deflector but no time to test it out yet. Will report back soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, it is a bit better - just sounds like wind noise now rather than a really unpleasant reverberation. Stopped to adjust deflector angle a couple of times on my 35 miler without much noticeable difference. A few minutes after the final adjustment I watched in horror as one of the little adjuster locks vibrated out & fell off never to be seen again. Rats! A zip tie has stopped it all falling apart.
Wish I'd got a clear one rather than dark tinted (to match the screen) too as I can't really see through it. Getting there I suppose, at least I haven't found anything else that puts me off the bike. Prefer it to the '83 BMW R80ST it has replaced.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts