Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost know the answer to this one already from other posts going on at the moment, but I'd like the general concensus!

Bike has been a bit "weird" last few cold mornings, running a bit lumpy and not starting with as much vigour as usual.

Yesterday morning saw a flat battery, but a quick jump start off the car got me into work with no probs, and with lights off to try and juice the battery up as much as possible.

Leaving work last night saw the battery totally flat again, not even the idiot lights would light. RAC man cam and jumped me (so to speak) and I set off homewards. About a mile later, and typically right in the middle of Hyde Park Corner, the lumps came back and I had to slip the clutch and keep the revs up above 4000 to get me away from the killer traffic. Once off Hyde Park roundabout the bike settled a bit and I carried on. Then it cut out altogether with no warning. I managed to bump start it in 2nd as I coasted along, so I went a bit further towards home.

Another few miles saw me at Earls Court where the lumpiness came back, and it felt like I was on one cylinder. Again the bike cut out, but this time it wasn't having any of my cunning bump starting tricks and coasted to a stop. RAC man number 2 arrived another hour later and tried to jump me again, having topped up my battery level which appeared to be totally dry. The bike was having none of it though, so the recovery truck was called, finally arriving about 90 minutes later.

5.5 hours after leaving work I got home – it usually takes me 30 minutes!

So......I'm guessing the regulator or rectifier has gone, and the battery is just a secondary illness?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sounds like reg/rec (it's a single unit) indeed :(
Most AT riders and meself seem to experience a faulty reg/rec dropping the voltage to a too low value, but I guess a too high voltage (cooking the battery dry like on yours) could happen just as well. Hopefully the battery has not suffered too much from that and is still usable, these defect are expensive enough already. Good luck!

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sounds like the dreaded Reg/Rec then as I feared. The recovery guy suggested the same, and that it would've cooked the battery too. So thats fairly conclusive. Arse.

Just had another thought....I had a botchy/dodgy repair done in Morocco in the Summer when my fuel pump stopped pumping fuel. As far as I could make out, there was a dodgy connector and/or relay which "Ali" bypassed and wired the pump direct to the battery. It's been pumping away merrily ever since, but would this have any detremental effect to either the battery or reg/rec?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Before forking out hard earned would it be best to check the output with a multimeter... that would soon pinpoint the fault. The battery on my last TA was dry when I got back from France (had to get a push off the ferry:oops: ) - maybe the heat of foreign climes makes the water evapourate quicker??? Anyway, filled it up and - it was knackered so a new one was purchased and all was well. Check the botch out - it might be draining more current than it should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts