Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the 'alp MOT'd after she had languished in the container all Winter, a week with a solar panel meant she fired up quickly, 2 mins of tick-over and off to the bike shop. I was a wee bit surprised when I realised it has been nearly 5 years since we met!! Now got to give the bike a once over before the weather picks up. A new front tyre might be nice as the Tourances get very skippity as they alway wear in an uneven manner, though I am unsure where to go on this as the rear Tourance has a summer left on it and I prefer to stick to the same make front and rear after a bad experience many years ago on mixing and matching ... :angel1: I almost met one of these...

It was interesting that a long break away has meant that I was not quite so sensitive to the harsher feeling front end after fitting Hagon springs last Autumn, maybe I will be able to live with them after all :) I need to tune the Hagon back end too, and then think about travels.. Yee Ha!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It shows the pedigree of the 'alp, the fact that even after being forgotten and locked up for a while it still fired up and worked perfectly.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Winter is back in Dorset today wet and horrible.
good to hear that your bike is up and running tho.
mine has not seen much daylight so far this year!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shows the pedigree of the 'alp, the fact that even after being forgotten and locked up for a while it still fired up and worked perfectly.:thumbup:
Indeed, I was surprised at the moisture being pushed out of the exhaust initially, but it soon cleared up. My worry was siezed brakes again, a known issue with the 'alp.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Indeed, I was surprised at the moisture being pushed out of the exhaust initially, but it soon cleared up. My worry was siezed brakes again, a known issue with the 'alp.
We had the wet stuff all night last night and this morning when i went to work, it will help soften the ground up for next weekends hare n hounds

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a few problems with the brakes sticking and thought is was just me, until I read all the threads about it.
I think that is the one fault with the 'alp, on an otherwise fine machine.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a few problems with the brakes sticking and thought is was just me, until I read all the threads about it.
I think that is the one fault with the 'alp, on an otherwise fine machine.
My suspicion is that once they have been stripped once and some proper lube has been applied, the problem will be pretty well dealt with. Mine seems OK now anyway :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had the wet stuff all night last night and this morning when i went to work, it will help soften the ground up for next weekends hare n hounds
Sounds as if the South was well wetted last night, just a spot here which is just fine by me as it allowed the footings and trench blocks to go in for our farmhouse extension... Phew!

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
The weather boffins have predicted snow again over the Chilterns tonight, Jesus this is getting boring ! :( Lucky ATGreg !

·
Registered
181 Posts
My suspicion is that once they have been stripped once and some proper lube has been applied, the problem will be pretty well dealt with. Mine seems OK now anyway :)
What we've had in my area today is typical winter weather, wet and grey far better than the cold and white weather we've had of late.

As for your breaks, if you're expecting NOT to ride your bike much then get some break cleaner, Halfords make is as good as any, and spray it liberally all over your break calipers especially around the pistons.

Once this is done and the cleaner is dried gently push the pads/pistons back away from the discs using either a wide screw driver or even better a wooden kitchen spatula.

With this done there's not a chance of the break pads welding themselves to the discs. further to this shove an oily rag into your exhaust pipe to stop moisture building up inside your exhaust.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
No let up in the Grampians.. took the 750 R out on Sunday to Tomintoul over the lecht ski reprt ( got some strange looks :D ) came back over the lecht too.. roads full of crud.. the bike is the dirtyest I have ever seen it from a road only run... now got 4 inchs of snow again!!!!! will post pic & report

alp just fires up... no issues ... just amazin... as always...:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is Raining here at the moment, at least the roads are getting a good wash down.
The forecast is for a few cold nights too come, I just hope the grit is not needed again.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have just been out to get some Locusts and the SUN was out, it looked and felt quite pleasant.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
-5 and 4 inches of snow
dont mind that but my hoose to the pressure washer is fozen so the xlv is still covered in salty crud ahhhhhhhh

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Was supposed to be out today but weather has turned again here an I cant be arsed getting the bike all covered in crap and salt just to ride for the joy:rolleyes: Sod it road riding will become a summer sport for me.. I may as well try a Harley:D

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
No let up in the Grampians.. took the 750 R out on Sunday to Tomintoul over the lecht ski reprt ( got some strange looks :D ) came back over the lecht too.. roads full of crud.. the bike is the dirtyest I have ever seen it from a road only run... now got 4 inchs of snow again!!!!! will post pic & report

alp just fires up... no issues ... just amazin... as always...:thumbup:
We have got to start co-ordinating ourselves - I went over the Cabrach to Rhynie on Sunday afternoon on the Vara.

One day soon eh, one day soon :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
We have got to start co-ordinating ourselves - I went over the Cabrach to Rhynie on Sunday afternoon on the Vara.

One day soon eh, one day soon :thumbup:

dohh..
Had my Brrrrunch at the Firestation in Tomintooly the guy was very suprised to see me.. :thumbup:

bacon and eggs on pancakes with maple syrup:confused: very nice.. thawed out by the big stove....

was going to go back over Carbrach but opted to go back across the Lecht.. got followed by the yellow rescue chopper ( from Raigmore I think ) got to the lech and there was ambulance and police.. looks like a skier had come a cropper ..

got 4 inch of snow yesterday and the drive is deadly with 4 wheels let alone two.... I love the snow.. but this is getting tedious and we have a few more months where it can be like this up our way..

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for your breaks, if you're expecting NOT to ride your bike much then get some break cleaner, Halfords make is as good as any, and spray it liberally all over your break calipers especially around the pistons.

Once this is done and the cleaner is dried gently push the pads/pistons back away from the discs using either a wide screw driver or even better a wooden kitchen spatula.

With this done there's not a chance of the break pads welding themselves to the discs. further to this shove an oily rag into your exhaust pipe to stop moisture building up inside your exhaust.
Some good points there, especially the brake tip, i will remember that one for the future with thanks!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
-5 and 4 inches of snow
dont mind that but my hoose to the pressure washer is fozen so the xlv is still covered in salty crud ahhhhhhhh
Gach, it is enough to make me glad I live in the softie South!

Picked up the Yam Jog from it's MOT today and rode it back through driving snow and horrid roads. I have to say I do like a scooter for the protection it gives, but god is it painfully slow....

The lass at the dealers made a crack about a quick blast to freshen up the battery and I responded that the only way the thing was ever going to go any faster than 27 MPH was for me to lose 4 stone! Workout like this I guess... :blob8:

Off to look at some fresh farm and family wheels tomorrow, a nice 4.7l V8 Jeep running on LPG is booked for a test drive... gotta be good :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts