Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FUNBUS mentioned the fact that the TA700 is not happy below 3000 revs. I have been thinking of a wish list for the Transalp and that point is top of my list. I am 67 and have been riding bikes for 55 years, so my wishes are no doubt influenced by a general slowing down. These are things I would like:-
  • Milder camshaft to bring in power and torque 1000 revs earlier. Should also give it a slower, smoother idle.
  • 100 cc more to compensate for loss of power from the milder cam.
  • Another 5 litres added to the fuel capacity.
  • Effective screen so that wind roar does not necessitate earplugs.
  • Shed 50 Kg’s.
  • A few more Kmh per 1000 revs.*
  • More padding in the seat*
  • Added by FARKY
  • V4 engine - preferably the old VFR engine with the FI sorted, should suit lower gearing, is 6 speed and runs well low down, great low centre of gravity too if a little wider.
  • Decent can as standard - the old flat twin pipe idea isnt working, still issues with flaking and lack of longevity.
  • Bigger tank but it only needs another 4/5 L and the bleedin sensor adjusted for the reserve indicator (always comes on at 150m but I can only ever get 15L in where I could run it for another 2L easy if not 4).
  • More competitively priced accessories and decent mountings for fog/day lights - take note of Touratech quality Honda.
  • Decent quality nuts and bolts all round along with brake line parts.
  • Stainless steel spokes as standard.
  • Added by Tigerjohn
  • 6th Gear
  • Centre stand
  • Shaft Drive
  • Extra 100cc would enhance pillion capabilities while keeping the bike reasonably small
* added as afterthoughts
Must say that the TA is very responsive to ride. My friend proved how well it handles the other day. He was on his TA on a fun run with some other bikes when he miscalculated a bend in the road. It tightened up on him so quickly that his lean angle scraped the catalytic converter. A mistake, but nice to know that there was enough grip to hold the road.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
FUNBUS mentioned the fact that the TA700 is not happy below 3000 revs. I have been thinking of a wish list for the Transalp and that point is top of my list. I am 67 and have been riding bikes for 55 years, so my wishes are no doubt influenced by a general slowing down. These are things I would like:-
  • Milder camshaft to bring in power and torque 1000 revs earlier. Should also give it a slower, smoother idle.
  • 100 cc more to compensate for loss of power from the milder cam.
  • Another 5 litres added to the fuel capacity.
  • Effective screen so that wind roar does not necessitate earplugs.
  • Shed 50 Kg’s.
Must say that the TA is very responsive to ride. My friend proved how well it handles the other day. He was on his TA on a fun run with some other bikes when he miscalculated a bend in the road. It tightened up on him so quickly that his lean angle scraped the catalytic converter. A mistake, but nice to know that there was enough grip to hold the road.
Alistair, I salute you sir, 67 and still riding an adventure bike, good on you, hope you have many years ahead, you can't keep a good man down :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had a alp 700, loved everything about it except that it's a gear short,
I changed it for a bike thats happy to cruise at higher speeds

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grumpy - a bike keeps you young.
Stuart, you are right. Thats exactly the thought I had when we have been on a long run cruising at 120kmh. The extra power on my wish list would enable a higher top gear, so that's another addition to the list. The motor is obviously tough but we don't want it thrashing itself over long distances. Keep those revs reasonable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Alistair, I'm not exactly a teenager myself and have been riding bikes for a very long time. I've had my 700 Alp for about six months now but I've owned a large number of bikes over the years, my last one being a BMW 1200RT.

On the screen, have you tried Honda's taller screen for this bike? It does make a considerable improvement over the standard version in reducing wind blast and noise from it.

If you want a bike that's really happy at low revs, try a Harley. I've had several. Most modern bikes are not happy at low revs because most riders don't want to ride that way so they are designed accordingly. The exceptions are mainly cruisers like those from Harley and other brands, maybe some tourers too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Alistair...and others with 700 Transalps; have you thought of gearing it up a tooth by changing the front sprocket to give it longer legs. Did it on both my 600 Transalps, worked a treat. Presume it's the same sprocket setup of 15 front 47 rear.
It doesn't cost much to try and you can change back and forth between sprockets in ten minutes or so depending on what you are doing with the bike.
Just a thought.

Cheers
Potski

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a bike that's really happy at low revs, try a Harley.
Thanks ABC but I don't think I could live with a Harley - too expensive, too heavy and too laid back. All I'd like is for the motor to be happy a little further down the scale.
I have a Kappa screen which seems (from pictures) to be the same height as the Honda screen. It seems to shovel the air into my helmet at wind-tunnel speeds. I shall have to revert to the solution I invented many years ago when I was commuting at higher speeds every day. I tried taping over every join in my helmet with no success. I then found that holding my hand over the bottom of the helmet helped. Eureka! I stuffed a large sock with foam and made it into a doughnut, pulled it over my head, put the helmet on so that it rested on the doughnut and it worked. Looked stupid though. Pity that I didn't think of it before I lost 10% of my hearing.
Potski thanks, it's worth thinking about before going touring.
Thought of something else for the wish list - more padding in the seat.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
#1 V4 engine - preferably the old VFR engine with the FI sorted, should suit lower gearing, is 6 speed and runs well low down, great low centre of gravity too if a little wider.

#2 Decent can as standard - the old flat twin pipe idea isnt working, still issues with flaking and lack of longevity.

#3 Bigger tank but it only needs another 4/5 L and the bleedin sensor adjusted for the reserve indicator (always comes on at 150m but I can only ever get 15L in where I could run it for another 2L easy if not 4).

#4 More competitively priced accessories and decent mountings for fog/day lights - take note of Touratech quality Honda.

#5 Decent quality nuts and bolts all round along with brake line parts.

#6 Stainless steel spokes as standard.

#7 Organise some decent Honda (not dealer) lifestyle events like BMW do, we all do enough ourselves but it would be nice for the big pockets to spend the fluff in his pocket on customers other than track guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd definately go for a 6th gear -have tried to change up too many times at about 50mph! Agree that a bigger tank would be a bonus. Would add a Givi screen -half the price of Honda's touring screen and pretty good. Lots of goodies for the TA in the Touratech catalogues - sump guard looks good and nice tank bag. Pity they're so expensive, though. Nice pair of black Zega panniers + rack (only £925!). Aux socket would be good. Mine came with main stand and heated grips - essential kit for me. Shaft drive perhaps? An extra 100cc would enhance pillion capabilities while keeping the bike reasonably small. That'll do for this week......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts