Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a minor off the past week on the A13 whilst filtering on my way to work. Strangely I was doing hardly 30mph where normally it is ermmm slightly more than :D

Anyho Mr X5 pulls out in front of me and I have no where to go as there is cars on both sides and the only gap available is the one he is taking :confused: Get on the brakes and both wheels lock solid and start sliding down towards the X5, luckilly he sees me and swerve back into his lane although not entirely as I am about to turn the X5 into a 2 seater convertable by removing half the rear end of the car :rolleyes: I manage to slide just past the rear bumper and then realise the red car on my left is closing in rapidly. Not him moving but me still sliding towards him. I think f$ck f$ck f$ck here comes impact!! As I am about the hit the car the traffic started moving and he pull off. At this point the bike has come to standstill and I am completely off camber and front wheel slipping, hit the deck and before I knew it was standing next to the bike again. I wave some friendly gestures to the X5 driver who now stops and asks whether everything is ok :mad: I decide to rather say nothing as I am about to blow a major fuse connecting the circuit from my brain controlling the urge to beat the living crap out of the guy :)

Luckilly only the indicator light lens broke and a few scrapes on the cylinder head protectors, very very fortunate nobody drove over me or even worse could of slided into the middle barrier and went flying into the oncoming traffic. So decided after 6 years of commuting in and out of London to call some time out. Tomorrow I am trying to use the train and cycling from Fenchurst street to work and back. I stopped using the train years ago as I did not do to well on there either :D But feel at this point would rather not commute in the winter on the A13 and hopefully can apreaciate some longer weekend rideouts again.

Have told Mrs Maverick that I will give it my best effort until xmas and see how I feel then. It certainly is going to be strange not commuting in and out on my bike after so many years :(

So if you see a mad man on a train throwing passengers out of the windows...that will be me then :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
****in hell dude you kept that a bit quiet:eek::eek: glad your ok mate need any help with repair;)

oh i give you about ten mins before you start throwing bodies out the windows and a max of a week before you back on the bike:D

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Maverick, sorry about your off, but glad you were OK and you only had minimal damage to your bike.

Taking the train.....you'd best book in for an anger management course at the earliest possible opportunity;)

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Glad youre ok - I filter on the a12 and a13 most weeks - I hate every single second of it - more than anywhere else there really does seem to be some mist that descends on the car drivers on those roads at 9am and 5pm - a lot of the time now, so long as the traffic is moving at all, I dont bother. Many a bike that's torn past me on the a12, Ive managed to, or all but managed to, catch them on the greenman roundabout anyhow.

Oh, forgot to add, I give it 2 weeks before we read the I'm filtering in the city again thread :D

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Hey Mav

Take it easy on the train mate - Get an Ipod or MP3 player that plays calming music - I can't travel on one in the rush hour without one as without one I'm a one step away from lamping the next person who says in a loud voice 'Can you move down please....'

The fact they're standing 5 rows of people back with little chance of getting on the next 3 trains never mind the one i'm on seems to make no difference...

Just take deep breaths

:)

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
So if you see a mad man on a train throwing passengers out of the windows...that will be me then :D
If you could tell me where and when you start i could take pics.I'm sure you still could make next years calendar:D:D
"Headline"
"This is why you should ride a bike":D:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Mav,
I hate commuting (and don't do it often as I work from home most days) but a mate of mine, Andy Barrow, broke his neck at 17 playing rugby (see an interview with him here ( Andy Barrow & Steve Palmer ) and he once said to me that what he missed was all the things he'd never have to do, such as getting the train every morning into work, as all his mates had done.
I still hate commuting but it does put a different perspective on things.

·
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well made it in and nobody got hurt :D Only small incident with bus, taxi and white man van but luckilly escaped their attempts to kill me. Was strange to sit on the train watching the traffic on the A13 go past and then come to a dead stop around Dageham :rolleyes:

The cycling is a bit strange, makes you fekin tired I tell ya :D Whealie I hear you dude there is certain things we take for granted and others wish they can do, luckilly I live my life and at this point there isn't much regrets so hope I am on the right track :cool:

Annette that anger management malarky did not work for me, I mean how can you fail it three times :scratch: :dontknow: :D not going back for that bollocks.

And on another note now that I am a full hard core cyclist.......this bloody bikers is dangerous on the roads zipping in and out of traffic :D :D :D

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Eeeckkk Mav... Glad you cool.... :shock:

Right... Anyone fancy a little wager...? I'll give him a week on the Train Max... :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Chad gets a pink bike and Maverick starts wearing Lycra. Lord Vader will wish he had not moved to Essex.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Well made it in and nobody got hurt :D Only small incident with bus, taxi and white man van but luckilly escaped their attempts to kill me. Was strange to sit on the train watching the traffic on the A13 go past and then come to a dead stop around Dageham :rolleyes:

The cycling is a bit strange, makes you fekin tired I tell ya :D Whealie I hear you dude there is certain things we take for granted and others wish they can do, luckilly I live my life and at this point there isn't much regrets so hope I am on the right track :cool:

Annette that anger management malarky did not work for me, I mean how can you fail it three times :scratch: :dontknow: :D not going back for that bollocks.

And on another note now that I am a full hard core cyclist.......this bloody bikers is dangerous on the roads zipping in and out of traffic :D :D :D
Get a Bromptom Mav.
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/index.cfm?seaction=bikerange.mtype I've got two !! brill for taking on the train.

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
Pleased your OK --the bike will mend.

Cycling ---at least you will be getting fit ----and of course saving the planet :D :D :D

·
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a Bromptom Mav.
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/index.cfm?seaction=bikerange.mtype I've got two !! brill for taking on the train.
I was looking at those but decided to first see how I get on before shelling out that amount of money. They do seem well built and the city dwellers choice of pedal power :cool: At this point if I keep up untill xmas at least the money saved by not buying a tube ticket would cover the £99 spend on the little fold up.

This is Maverick and passengers got hurt in the writing of this thread :D

·
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cycling ---at least you will be getting fit ----and of course saving the planet :D :D :D
The fitness will be a bonus but it certainly is hard work when you so unfit like me. Saving the planet....not entirely sure about that as I am showering longer and more every day now to relax the muscles and get rid of the sweat :)

One thing I will tell you boys and girls it is a freakin nightmare out there with the pedestrians, they don't give a hoot about a cyclist and not only walk out in front of you but then also stop and look at you like you are the odd one out in the road :scratch: Swap one evil for the other I tell ya!

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
The fitness will be a bonus but it certainly is hard work when you so unfit like me. Saving the planet....not entirely sure about that as I am showering longer and more every day now to relax the muscles and get rid of the sweat :)

One thing I will tell you boys and girls it is a freakin nightmare out there with the pedestrians, they don't give a hoot about a cyclist and not only walk out in front of you but then also stop and look at you like you are the odd one out in the road :scratch: Swap one evil for the other I tell ya!

Pedestrians in the Square Mile are worse than the shopping areas........Watch for the yellow "incident" signs coming up to Xmas.

Be very careful Maverick.

I'm pointing out the obvious maybe.....but I think the best way to move safely around town is not to be in a hurry ever.......and No Daydreaming!!!...;)

Just reminding meself really....:glasses11:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I was looking at those but decided to first see how I get on before shelling out that amount of money.
Employers can buy their staff a bicycle and give it to them without it being taxed as a perk - so ask you boss to buy you one as part of the firm's green policy.
My boss bought me one (but then I am self-employed ;))

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Had a minor off the past week on the A13 whilst filtering on my way to work.
Bloody hell :(.

Sorry to hear this, I hope you get the bike back to its former glory ASAP and that you are fine. And good luck with the train...I couldn't stomach it :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts