Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
As Phil points out, they've attempted to leave room for various areas of insurance outside of motors.
I didn't actually. It's not very clear but those exemptions were in the Directive and the court a) ruled that they had to come to an end (and gave the date in Belgium of the 21st of December 2012) but b) expressed doubt that the whole idea of unisex premiums was correct.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
if the courts get their way and steer the insurance companies actions they will only be able to survive in business if they make it expensive for all of us to hedge their bets and once they've got it that high they'll want to keep it there.
Please don't blame 'the courts'. The court ruled in this case on the law. In the UK the courts can make the law but the European Court can only interpret it and apply it. This case demonstrates how strictly that rule is applied. Even though the court thought the law was wrong, it still applied it.

Furthermore, the court was only considering the question because some Belgian equivalent of the Consumer Association took an action against an insurer. The court has absolutely no control over who chooses to ask it to decide a matter.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
If it is proposed that the present rate differential between males and females (or any other gender for that matter) should become illegal. Then the current differential between being insured in my post code (W1) & say HS2 (Stornoway ) would be equally illegal ?
No. There's nothing in the Charter of Fundamental Rights that you cannot be treated differently because of where you live.

There is in relation to gender and age though.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ok lots of fancy words and long winded stuff i don't understand in this thread. Simple thing for me is, if female drivers cost the insurers less money each year then why shouldn't they get cheaper insurance?
Cuz they burnt their bra's!

That and the end of slavery pretty much started the whole equal rights movement followed by Europe having no balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Is SAGA insurance ageist? :hitler:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts