Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the 'very basic heading but thought I would go straight to the point.

Have got a 98 A T, and have just returned from a 12 day trip to Spain. Since being away the bike has developed an issue when standing on tick over. The bike will start first thing in the morning and run fine. Rides and performs as always. Was riding for normally 2 to 3 hours at a time so the bike was always hot. If I then stopped and allowed the bike to stand and tick over it would start struggling to hold the rev and then stall. Normally tick over is about 1100 - 1200, the revwould drop to under a 1000. At which point the troubles would begin..... on trying to restart it would either not turn the engine at all or would click the solenoid. Also would wipe all the info off the trip master so total loss of power.

First thoughts were loose battery lead or dodgy battery. Both seem fine. Got round spain by the power of a good push or rolling down a hill and the bike will run fine when bump started.

Have had the day off today so started the bike in the garage today to see what would happen an to eliminate the water element, it did rain a bit so was thinking water could be a factor. Ran the bike in the dry for approx 30 mins so again the bike was hot and started to have the same issue again. It cut out and wouldn't restart again lost all info off the trip master and initially did nothing and then started to click the solenoid. Have left for about 4 hrs to cool and have gone to restart and has started on the first push of the button with no issue.

Am assuming something is getting hot and not liking it or I have a dodgy wire somewhere. Anyone got any ideas.

The trip was still good by the way.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought this sounded more electrical than fuel but do think it may be running a bit rich so you may have a valid point.
Would this mean that it wouldn't start tho? Or even turn the engine? Hence my thought that it is more electrical.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sorry mate I completely missed that part of your post.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have the idea the pulse generator can be fine when cold but start to fail as the engine warms.

Defintely worth starting with the simple things though, BobA's idea is a good one. Remove and reseat all fuses in case corrosion is causing a high resistance contact

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you changed the battery or just measured it? Sometimes bad batteries show good voltage but one crank and they are dead. If the bike is just ticking over maybe it's not getting enough juice from the alternator and then it starts to struggle as the battery dies and then theres not enough to restart. It would explain why it runs after the push start but won't tick over.

The clicking sound says to me that its electrical so either it's a battery or connections/fuses as mentioned above.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My money's on a bad earth. Remove the main earth, give it a wee bit of clean, apply some vaseline and stick it back on again, nice and tight (not too tight mind :p).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Have you changed the battery or just measured it? Sometimes bad batteries show good voltage but one crank and they are dead. If the bike is just ticking over maybe it's not getting enough juice from the alternator and then it starts to struggle as the battery dies and then theres not enough to restart. It would explain why it runs after the push start but won't tick over.

The clicking sound says to me that its electrical so either it's a battery or connections/fuses as mentioned above.
Ronnie's has said it. It's always the battery....well most of the time. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Battery most like. They act weird when it's dying.Has the air box ever been modified?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Pretty much as I expected which is good. Not sure on the age or condition of the battery bought the bike just over a year ago and battery was already on it then. Have had it plugged in to an optimate when not being used but guess they can just go. My thinking was that it was going to be a loose lead between the battery and the starter or a knackered battery.

Will have a go over the weekend and see what I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts