Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was chatting to Stageonesimmo during the TLD, and got onto the subject of the dreded box wobble that folk with side bins can experience..

Brian has added a threaded rod to preload the cross brace at the back.. mentioned the guy I bumped into on the way back from last years TLD who had a steering damper arangement for his boxes.. found the pics

so :-

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
that tells me they are not mounted strongly enough or theres too much weight in there!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
that tells me they are not mounted strongly enough or theres too much weight in there!
My Hepco & Becker side boxes have a frame which bolts to the bike under the topbox plate and handles. It then goes around the back of the bike and bolts the 2 box frames together to give the rigidity. I have never experienced any weive with the side boxes but i have with th etop box...

You can see the frame going around the back of the bike just above the reg plate

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I can see that the x-brace is a sensible option if there is nothing else, but I do wonder about a damper. But hey, if it works... :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
You can see the frame going around the back of the bike just above the reg plate
yes, i see. i guess it depends also on the bike, your pic brought home that adv bikes are tall compared to sports bikes, the givi frames i had on my sports-tourer came out the side on stubby little brackets and were very secure, with a bar underneath that joined the two. yours come out and then down quite a bit.
strangely the oem case mounts on the side of my varadero are rubber mounted and move all over the place, and ive never had a wobble. perhaps loose is sometimes better than tight?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

the boxes on this thing were custom made, infact the whole bike was..

its a RTW bike built for Simon Milward, he was killed in an RTA in 2005 in Mali

www.millennium-ride.com

the Guy I met was the bike builder.. he lives down Devon way I think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts