Honda XRV Forum banner

working with Fibreglass

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  moon 
#1 ·
I have just been looking at utube and watched a few clips on fiberglass,how to copy a mould and such,so my thoughts are would it be that difficult to say copy a side panel or a fairing?I`ve looked at the prices of fiberglass kits (gelcoat,resin ,mat)and all the other bits and pieces it dosen`t look very expensive,what`s your thoughts?:confused::confused::confused:

#3 ·
yup, the hard part is getting the mould just right. Problems usually arise at the moment of separation from the former (original peice, from which you make the mould) with a slight vacuum & a huge amount of static built up I have seen large numbers of formers being sacrificed in order to release them from the mould!

besides, I dont like fibreglass; nasty smelly scratchy sticky chemical poo it is!

"If god had meant us to build fibreglass boats, he'd have planted fibreglass trees." :D

#4 ·
"If god had meant us to build fibreglass boats, he'd have planted fibreglass trees." :iconbiggrin:

Does this mean you have a wooden fairing on your bike????:thumb::thumbup: :thumb::thumbup:

G
#5 ·
Using fibreglass to make a mold and then a one of positive can be quite expensive, also it involves lots of techniques to design a splitable mold (for 3dimensional pieces) and also certain products/techniques to stop the mold from sticking...

It's not as simple/cheap as some make it out to be.. Also as already posted you probably will end up destroying a good fairing to make a fibreglass copy also if trying to copy a damaged fairing you are also going to copy any imperfections

#6 ·
I have worked with fibreglass, the last thing I made for my old AT was a tall
Screen. I made a screen out of metal first, then made a mould at of fibreglass then made 3 screens for me and my 2 mates with 650 AT. I must have made 4 or 5 moulds until I was happy with one. As it’s been said the hard part is getting the part to separate of the mould I think I used wax then a thin layer of PVA I found that worked well but my screen was fairly flat compared to a fairing. If I had a damage side panel I would use that, just repair it first that way if it does get damage no great loss. I found it’s the same old thing practice makes perfect. If the finished product does have marks or other imperfections in it, you only need to flat it down and spray it and at worst you can then use that to make a new mould.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.