Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just brought a Honda CT90 which is the adventure version of the worlds most popular bike, the Honda stepthrough. From the numbers sold it is probably the worlds most popular adventure bike having been sold in the 10000's in the US and also as the CT110 'postie' in Oz and other places.
People appear to have done all the 'adventure' things on them Oz to UK etc but perhaps slower than many.
When it is sorted, clutch slips and engine does not turn over, hopefully only seized from standing, it will be used to trundle round the Gloucestershire lanes, also needs the frame cover and battery cover so a bit of $ spending.
More info http://ct90-ct110.com/Home.html
honda ct90.jpg

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi Dod, at last, someone with taste on this forum. :D

Ps, do you realise that the model you have was only produced for six months? Jan to June 1969. Its the first one to be fitted with telescopic forks. Aparantly its quite sought after. It has the low down airfilter, unlike the later models. It also has the reflector on the front mudguard and a smaller diameter headlamp.

The later models have something called an RV clamp, it allows the handlebars to be clamped in line with the frame so it can sit closer to the RV (campervan) when it is being transported.

Have you seen this site?

http://www.dratv.com/honcttrail90.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Dod, I think you just found an ace new friend in Traveller - what a way to start the New Year. Have fun

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Thinking back through my reading, I think the 90 is the World's biggest seller, CG/CB 125 next and I think the CBR, the biggest selling sports bike; Honda eh!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had been looking at CT90s for a while but difficult to find one at a price I was prepared to pay, wanted a tele fork version and realised that this was a K1 which was not a common version but it appeared to have most of the unique bits on it, headlamp/speedo and air cleaner, other than the frame cover and battery cover.
Traveller do you know how different the K1 covers are from K2 on? I assume it is mostly colours and some holes.
There appear to be parts on Oz & US ebay though the postage is expensive for some parts. Have started sorting through the part lists and have made one up for the K1 from www.houseofhondaparts.com and downloaded some pages for K6 and CT110 but site is down today.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I had been looking at CT90s for a while but difficult to find one at a price I was prepared to pay, wanted a tele fork version and realised that this was a K1 which was not a common version but it appeared to have most of the unique bits on it, headlamp/speedo and air cleaner, other than the frame cover and battery cover.
Traveller do you know how different the K1 covers are from K2 on? I assume it is mostly colours and some holes.
There appear to be parts on Oz & US ebay though the postage is expensive for some parts. Have started sorting through the part lists and have made one up for the K1 from www.houseofhondaparts.com and downloaded some pages for K6 and CT110 but site is down today.
Just be sure to post it up for sale here when the time comes to move on :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi Dod, I think these are great little bikes, mine have been in storage for a couple of years now due to an ongoing building project. I will have a look at the frame covers and maybe get pics. I know the airfilters are different from the later ones but I am not sure if the frame covers are different except for colours and decals.

I bought my first CT90, the 1969 one as a basket case with the intention of putting it back on the road using 6volt C90 parts as the main source pf spares. I wanted a runabout to hang on the back of the campervan.
I got it running fairly easily with an new plug, points, valve clearances, battery, carb strip and clean, new petrol pipes and fresh fuel. Thats when the plan changed. Instead of just completing it as planned I decided to wait and collect the correct parts and try to bring it back to original.

The others came along when I was hunting for spares. They are the later models. One has a pooly engine and I obtained a 110cc engine from a trike, it has cdi ignition so does not need a battery. It still has the high low ratio gearbox and this one will be a bare bones to hook on the campervan.

Ps the yellow paint is a standard colour, chrome yellow, the same as mine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
i'm also a fan of old hondas. this is my pride and joy. since its got "trail" at the end of its name, i suppose it wouldnt harm to include it as an adventure bike. i've had many "adventures" on this particular one!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found some covers HONDA C50 C100 CT90 CT200 BATTERY SIDE COVER WITH KNOP | eBay and HONDA CT90 TRAIL90 1970-1974 BATTERY COVER UNFINISH FOR REPAINT BRAND NEW | eBay both in Tampa so may be same seller and NEW GRAY BATTERY BOX SIDE COVER 1970-1974 HONDA CT90 TRAIL 90 CT90 GREY | eBay who also has metal ones, similar price but postage much more.
Frame covers part numbers are similar (just colour letters different) except for CT110 but this CT110 one has the CT90 number anyway Oz - Honda CT90 CT110 Frame Cover Rare 64301-102-670ZE Shroud CT 90 CT 110 Hunter Cub | eBay.
Do c90 prop stands fit (can be made to fit with extension?) C90 ones are cheap UK HONDA C50 C65 C70 C90 CM91 CT70 CUB SIDE STAND NEW | eBay
CT90 expensive US 1971 Honda CT90 Side Stand Bar with Spring and Mounting Bolt | eBay
or cheap but heavy 1969 HONDA TRAIL 90 CT90 DAMAGED ! FOOT PEGS & BRACKET WITH SIDE KICK STAND | eBay.
Gaskets clutch cover gasket from C90 (6v &/or 12v) the same? Will need to take the cover off to investigate the slipping clutch or try and turn the engine from the alternator side- bolt strong enough?
Do not really want to take the engine out at the moment as I have the MG V35TT part dismantled trying to sort out the ignition-wont rev and a BSA A7 where the Boyer box has packed up and a Harley Evo Ultra that needs the steering bearings adjusting a long task as it has so much junk around the fork top. AND its too cold in the garage!
The monkey bike got nitrous and a big engine?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
This is the frame cover off the 1969 bike. I took four pictures but Tapatalk only let me upload one.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
[QUOTE=dod;
The monkey bike got nitrous and a big engine?[/QUOTE=

nitrous, twin carb but standard 85cc engine because it revs higher. the n02 kit was originally for a chainsaw(!). it was the smallest one they had. this was about 10years ago before they became popular with smaller engines. had some fun on that bike at traffic lights. one day i'll drag it out my parents loft and get it going again.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
dod; The monkey bike got nitrous and a big engine?[/QUOTE= nitrous said:
Looks great fun. I thought the coke bottle was to provide a sugar rush :D Every so often a flight of these bikes can be seen droning through Matlock Bath on a Sunday. They make a great sight.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
progress
A bit of progress got most of the bits from US/Canada, and they fit! The engine has freed up bit not much compression so head will have to come off. Carb came to pieces easily after leaving it overnight in degreaser, float bowl still had a bit of very mature petrol in it and the remainder of the bowl was full of crud. Still all cleaned out, hope it works. My brand new prop stand from C70 requires lengthening and the spring attachment needs reversing-hack it and weld- moment approaching. Got some of the correct transfers (decals) so can paint the bits when it warms up.
First opportunity to take some pics.
CT90pp2 8-2-15.jpg

Production figures for CT90 & CT110
Estimated to be 25000 to 30000 units/year from 1964 to 1986 then still being produced after 1986 for non US markets -SE Asia, NZ, Oz total estimates 700000 to >1000000 but then they are less than 2% of the total Honda stepthrough production of over 60,000,000 units.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
progress
A bit of progress got most of the bits from US/Canada, and they fit! The engine has freed up bit not much compression so head will have to come off. Carb came to pieces easily after leaving it overnight in degreaser, float bowl still had a bit of very mature petrol in it and the remainder of the bowl was full of crud. Still all cleaned out, hope it works. My brand new prop stand from C70 requires lengthening and the spring attachment needs reversing-hack it and weld- moment approaching. Got some of the correct transfers (decals) so can paint the bits when it warms up.
First opportunity to take some pics.
View attachment 66777

Production figures for CT90 & CT110
Estimated to be 25000 to 30000 units/year from 1964 to 1986 then still being produced after 1986 for non US markets -SE Asia, NZ, Oz total estimates 700000 to >1000000 but then they are less than 2% of the total Honda stepthrough production of over 60,000,000 units.
Looking neat, good to see the frame cover fits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts