Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.For the last 4 years i am on a transalp 700 that proved to be a reliable machine.I decided that is time to go to the bigger league and i am checking my options. Either i will go for a brand new motorcycle which will cost me over 15k euros or i will check for something used. Varadero was always a bike that loved the look of it and i believe its motor is more than enough to cover my needs. I can find models of 2009-2010 with plenty of extras on and around 20k miles around 5-6k euros. My question is simple. Should i go for it or the bike is too old for 2018. New bikes have 53453453 electronic assists that for sure they help but on the other hand its not like i am used to them and i will miss them with an older bike.The use i need it for is mainly for daily commute and 4-5 trips per year around 1k miles each.Give me your opinions plzzzzz

·
Registered
843 Posts
Greetings - I own a VTR1000 but got a TA 650 for general day-to-day transport & comfort and then added to my stable a 04 Triumph Tiger 955i for longer trips. I looked at Varadero esp later models with FI on the same engine as the VTR (detuned to 85 horsies instead of VTR's 105) but the low milage Tigers undercut price of secondhand Varaderos. I got mine for £1700 fully equipped.

Best thing is to get a test ride as weight of the bigger dual touring/adventure bikes can be a bit of a jump from a middleweight. And read up reviews on the Varadero - usual good Honda build quality though be aware that the engine can have problems with CCT failure (easily prevented with installing manual tensioners).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2010 Varadero.
They are a big lump and from the Transalp you will notice the weight.
The seat is also quite a bit wider and a little taller.

All that being said they make great tourers and not bad in the twisties is you change the fork oil and get used to throwing the big girl around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
As mentioned, they are quite a lump but you don't notice it so much once moving and hustle round the twisties quite nicely but in a very different way to the Alp.
IMHO the old tech (basic spec) is a good thing.
The seat isn't as comfy as it looks, the fuel economy not as bad as reported.

Ultimately, I liked or enjoyed it no more or no less than the Alp (650), it was just a different ride.

Another possible alternative would be a 1200 Super Ten?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah. Even the Fi bikes are old tech by today's standards. Not a bad thing, I'm not a fan of rider aids as they numb the riders perceptions of the conditions and diminishes their abilities.

Fuel consumption varies but most Fi bikes get around 42-46mpg (UK) the carbed bikes a little worse.

People say the front end feels vaige, but compared to a sports bike it is, but for the design age of the bike it's about right for what was aimed as a big tourer with off road pretensions.

I like the big lumpy feel of the bike, it's planted and stable.

Take a test ride to see if it's wright for you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have an early FI Vara (2003 40000 miles) and a 650TA (2003 20000 miles) the vara is great for the distance work effortless but will do country lanes as well last year I did an A-Z challenge( https://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42486 ) in a day on a mix of motorways to little Devon lanes and still felt fresh at the end of the day, I did a similar local Gloucestershire challenge on the TA.
It is a big beast but the seat is lower on the vara than the TA. I tend to use the Vara in spring and summer and the TA autumn and winter.
As others say try one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weight and height of dero is not a problem since i am 1.90m and 120kg so i believe i can bring it around. My question is if it worth going for it since its already a 10year old bike and cant be compared with today's technologies. On the other hand i saw reviews saying its an awesome all rounder and reviews saying it doesnt worth your time.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G920F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had two, a 2002 carb and one of the last FIs (~2011).

I think the carb had a bit more character to it but the FI with its 6th gear does a lot better on fuel consumption. I did the Stella Alpina and went around Ireland on the carb and I've done 3000 - 4000 mile trips around Europe on the FI each of the last 3 years without any problems. It's a very capable tourer but despite having done the Stella Alpina on one (I didn't drop it) I wouldn't recommend it for off road. It's a heavy bike and I dropped my Vara a few times before I got used to it. (Thanks to Givvi bars and pannier rails damage was negligible. Money well spent.) You learn to be careful about where you park up. I love them and it's nice to be a bit different when everyone else seems to be on a GS.

The Four Danube Capitals

The Baltic Loop

Romania

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've had mine 4 years and have done 40K km on it...

A great all-round bike, but having previously had an RD07 AT I wouldn't dream of taking it offroad!

I've done a lot of 600km+ days on it without being too crippled but then I have changed the seat. The FI and the 6th gear make a big difference.

I'm a big lad but still find it top-heavy especially when the tank is full: I've dropped mine several times on soft ground and when it's stalled when cold pulling out from car parks:rolleyes:

Mine will be up for sale in April, and I'm struggling to think of something to replace it, although I'm sure I'll find something:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
What you looking for? sounds a silly question but the weight of the Vera i think counters the increase in horse power and the enjoyment of the ride perhaps reduced by the fear of dropping it in unknown territory without assistance to pick up. i toured Scotland and Wales on my tried and tested TA without a thought of where i would end up and often caught myself thinking that i would be a bit panicked by the "lane" getting smaller and tighter and cambered if i was on my AT or Vera
my humble opinion is tart up your TA - i sold my AT and am prepping my Vera for sale - the TA is that good - simple
i also had a flurt with a Vstrom 650 but the lazy smooth simple ol fashioned relaxed power delivery of the TA outshone all - so i bought another one for £2500 and have no regrets
whatever you end up with enjoy the ride and take it at your speed safely
oh and keep smiling
Tony

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Ive had my FI Vara for nearly 6 years and have contemplated trading it in a couple of times recently when the thought that something lighter would be nice...

But, if you want a hugely comfortable bike capable of big mileages and even (if slightly mad, off roading!) the Vara will be a great buy for many. A quick run across to the West of Ireland in September reminded me why I didn't take a smaller bike. Dominates on the dual carriageway over there in a great fashion, and then fun on the back roads acroos to my destination.

Pros: The above. Good two up, heavy, but so well planted once the front end is beefed up with heavier oil. For tall riders, very roomy. The V twin is a dream motor, I just love the way it pulls even from really low down, and yet it will still get down and dirt if you rev the old girl ;) Great tourer for my needs, as the off road potential can be realised with appropriate tyres. Valve servicing is a PITA with bucket and shims, but with a low stress motor, 20K intervals is fine...;-)

Cons: Heavy old bitch if it falls over!!! Fuel consumption is not that wonderful, best ever was about 48-50mpg on a very long slow ride in Yurrup. Worst ever was around 15-18mpg hooning in the Scottish Borders (see above about down and dirty!!). Very top heavy, and tall, so scarey for a novice or someone coming off low sportsbikes!

Touching wood... I have not had any of the more common issues with my Vara in my time other than the weird ignition light problem. Exhausts are still good after 32k miles. Rear shock is going to be replaced when I pull my finger out, and I am putting an OEM Honda unit back on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts