Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soon going to have to commute nearly 100miles a day and so my SLR unfortunately isn't really suited to the motorway miles I'll be piling on. Mainly because of the wind, but also because I'll be filling the tank up every day!

However I've seen a Transalp that looks good as pasted below:

46,000 miles, Honda Transalp V-twin 600, Mint condition, Long MOT 10/02/11 TAX 30/06/10, Unique Metalic Painting made by professional body shop £500+,Brand new twin helmet top box (genuine honda) £300. Ready to go! No offers please. £900.

It's an '89 F reg that looks smashing and certainly looks able to give me some protection from the wind/rain etc, but with that mileage on it should I be worried about using it for commuting every day in all weathers with the mileage I'll be adding to it?

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Price - reasonable, without seeing bike. Worth a look
Mileage - not an issue provided it has been looked after, gearbox changes well, and it doesn't smoke. Check all usual suspects esp rot on rear wheel rim, all electrics OK, zorst fit for purpose
Practicality for your needs - as good as any, better than most. mpg isn't the best.
If you get it, change the oil and filter immediatly and change the plugs soon after.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Fit a Scotoiler to it and you're away! The bike should shrug off the task provided you keep the chain in good nick and watch the oil level in the engine.

But there isn't as much protection as you might think: it's in no way a fully-faired bike and you sit fairly high-up in the wind. If you keep below 60 though, you should be comfortable.

And for that price, what else are you going to get which will do such a good job?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was considering more of a move over to a tourer/sports kind of positoning - Honda VFR that kind of thing. But I just like to sit more upright for visibility (not that I've ridden a VFR yet), however that'll cost more. Came across this bike and the fairing on it looks pretty good, considering I'd be doing mostly motorways at 70+ though I'd need to make sure it was up to the job.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...00/radius/30/page/3/postcode/s183bs?logcode=p

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
I used to commute 150 miles a day for three 1/4 years - the first year on a 600 Transalp. It handled that no problem, and already had more mileage than yours when I started (78,000 when I bought my current Africa Twin, itself now nudging 100,000 miles). I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem with the mileage, just the usual things like wheel rot and the like.

If I had £900 I'd jump at that - the first ones were the best. Pdsquire's right about the wind protection; taller aftermarket screens help but normally generate a lot of wind noise. On the other hand the engine is better suited to dual carriageways, and those bikes are surprisingly roomy. I would go for it (I miss my '89 Alp the most :sad2::crybaby:).

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Oh, by the way, the tank range would be around 150-180 miles, so that might not help with regards to having to fill up every day. I now commute a measly 50 miles a day and can get a whole week out of my Africa Twin if I take it steadily. What you might consider is fitting the (even larger) tank from an RD04 Africa Twin - that would give useful range, although you'll need to modify the seat and fairing. A shame if the paintwork is nice. Africa Twins are still stupidly expensive for what they are, so a whole one is probably out of the question if your budget is near £900 (even my well used example would probably go for more than that).

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I was going to say if you could find £2.5k you could get a PanEuropean that would use the same fuel and be supremely comfortable, but then I saw this: TRIUMPH TROPHY Trophy 900 900

I may be mistaken, but I think that that is from before they detuned it. A hooligan engine in a fully-faired bike with an upright seating position? Tasty! No idea about the economy though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to say if you could find £2.5k you could get a PanEuropean that would use the same fuel and be supremely comfortable, but then I saw this: TRIUMPH TROPHY Trophy 900 900

I may be mistaken, but I think that that is from before they detuned it. A hooligan engine in a fully-faired bike with an upright seating position? Tasty! No idea about the economy though.
Now that is NICE!! I might just take a peak at that!! :thumbright:

This is the Transalp I saw...

HONDA XL TRANSALP XL600 V-H Any

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That trophy is nice but you will be back in the forward leaning position.
The Transalp has a sit up and bet seating position and better all round visibility.
It does suffer with an old engine design that is not as fuel efficient as it could be, But it is a Honda so it will be bulletproof. I think the earlier bikes were more fuel efficient than the later models due to the extra kit fitted for emissions..

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
The earlier machines were indeed better than what we seem to be seeing for the later 600s and 650s - my two never did less than 50 MPG, the earlier '89 one rarely falling below 55 even when held at 80-90 MPH for long periods. All in all probably the best compromise between power, weight and on'off road ability...:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are intending to buy the alp , it might be worth checking to see if the engine is using much oil.Had to fit new valve seals to my 88 alp last summer.It means removing the engine.Added to that is the cost of new head gaskets etc. It seems to be an issue with the earlier 600s, but other than the usual previously mentioned things to watch for , they are a good reliable machine capable of extremely high mileage with the usual maintenance.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Mine doesn't use any oil, check out the for sale wanted section, just don't nick the Tiger I've got my beady eyes on;) £1200 luvverlies

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
As with most of the above, mileage should be no problem with this old girl BUT, some of the parts availability for the early Alps is scarce, if the rear drum goes oval or start to crack, you'll be pretty well shafted.

Add £700-800 & you'll get a much newer Alp

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay,
I picked up my 94, 600 for... wait for it

£650, and even better, it was only about 10 minutes up the road :thumbup:

Depends how quick you want it, but with things like ebay what you want will eventually appear at a price you like, it just depends on how patient you are

1 - 17 of 17 Posts