Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dances with Drunks
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving some thought to one of the tubeless wheel conversions - either via a commercial product, or one of the DIY options. I would anticipate still using tubes in the tyres, for two reasons; firstly, I don't think our rims (600, in this case) have the profile to accept tubeless tyres, and secondly because I'm not sure I'd trust my life to them - although people do. Instead, I'd regard the conversion as a means of slowing the rate of deflation in the event of a puncture and reducing the chance of a blowout at speed.

As a side benefit, I'm wondering if sealing up the spokes - which of course is what these conversions do - would help prevent the rims from rotting from the inside?

Anyone got any experience, thoughts or opinions - even if it's derision!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yes to a degree, i have put a blob of sealant on each spoke of my 650 dominator rear wheel and put a new rim tape on while it was still wet then left it to cure overnight. After refitting the tyre i used a valve stem seal to stop the water getting in. Before i done this the tube was always wet when i took the tyre off now its usually dry.
I had a puncture a while after doing this about 20 miles from home and couldn't be bothered to repair it there i carry an electric pump and got home stopping 3 times to add air when i took the tyre off i was amazed to see i'd torn the valve stem off the tube.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I doubt it would stop corrosion as there is still a gap between the spoke nipple & rim.
I go round and put a thin smear of waxoil around the spoke nipple & rim (also a tiny smear inside the rim if I have the tyre off)

Rim corrosion should be a non issue with a bit of well timed preventative maintenance.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I doubt it would stop corrosion as there is still a gap between the spoke nipple & rim.
I go round and put a thin smear around the spoke nipple & rim (also a tiny smear inside the rim if I have the tyre off)

Rim corrosion should be a non issue with a bit of well timed preventative maintenance.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
What i found is the rim stays dry inside once the spokes are sealed, the water between the spoke nipple and rim dries out but that doesn't happen once it gets inside between the tube and the rim .
I done it 3 or 4 years ago to try and slow down the rim rot already there. I done quite a bit of prep first, dried it all with a hot air paint stripper scraped off the loose flaky stuff and then wire brushed it all with the kind that fits on an angle grinder, bloody messy work. Most of the corrosion is around the valve stem its the same on the spare wheel for my XR400

1 - 4 of 4 Posts