Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent yesterday with DoctorLaw whizzing around the glorious Sussex countryside, marvelling at this lovely weather and the fact that my RD04 (previously referred to as "Old Faithful") had just clicked past 30,000 miles and had been so reliable and brilliant, when... guess what?

Yeah, stopped for a chat, got back on my bike, pushed the starter and... and... errr.... huherrrm... NOTHING!!!

Faffed for a few minutes then managed to bump start the "Bloody Thing" (it's new name now) and ride home, running through the possible culprits on the way.

Stuck it on charge overnight.

Anyway, had a fiddle with it this afternoon, checked the rec/reg output which seems fine, then checked the scrupulously clean multi-connector on top of the starter solenoid, and couldn't believe it what I saw. It had started to have a meltdown, but I've caught it very early.

Cleaned everything up, but I think I'll be travelling up to PI with a spare rec/reg in case it has an intermittent fault.

20 year old Africa Twin, just done 30k miles, lived outside for the last 6 years, and first ever real failure. Not bad I suppose?!!?!!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It could be due to too little use, you have failed to give it the loving care it requires so it decided to punish you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Was having a ride with DoctorLaw yesterday, marvelling at the lovely weather, glorious Sussex countryside, and the fact that my RD04 (previously referred to as "Old Faithful") had just clicked past 30,000 miles and had been so reliable and brilliant, when... guess what?

Yeah, stopped for a chat, remounted, pushed the starter and... and... errr.... huherrrm... NOTHING!!!

Faffed for a few minutes then managed to bump start the "Bloody Thing" (it's new name now) and ride home, running through the possible culprits on the way.

Stuck it on charge overnight.

Anyway, had a fumble around this afternoon, checked the rec/reg output which seems fine, then checked the scrupulously clean multi-connector on top of the starter solenoid. Well, blow me, it had started to have a meltdown, but I've caught it very early.

Cleaned everything up, but I think I'll be travelling up to PI with a spare rec/reg in case it has an intermittent fault.

20 year old bike, just done 30k miles, first fault. Not bad I suppose?!!?!!

:thumbup:

Despite having been there for the entire day, the ambiguity of your wording makes me wonder if my blushes were saved and your reputation as one of the XRV "gents" remains intact :rolleyes::confused::D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Despite having been there for the entire day, the ambiguity of your wording makes me wonder if my blushes were saved and your reputation as one of the XRV "gents" remains intact :rolleyes::confused::D
I think you're the one with the dirty mind, the meaning of his post made perfect sense to me.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Errrr reading back through my ramblings, I can see where blushes may have occured, so I have hopefully removed any ambiguity?!?!?! :(

:angel5:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
quality:D

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
could this be why no-one else was invited.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts