Honda XRV Forum banner
5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  futter 
#1 ·
So, I might as well start with a brief description of whats going on with my RD07:
Decided to upgrade the front forks for a WP48mm. It's an easy swap if you buy the whole front end set like I did. I got the brake pump + braided cable + caliper + forks (with braces) + wheel from a 2003 KTM 450 SXS. And even bought the rugged road stem adaptor for simplicity (which turns out is tapered to 25mm on the top end when the AT neck with bearings needs a 27mm one, but that's a whole other story).
So, apart from relocating the ignition I then upgraded the front brake for a 320mm one. And that's when I saw it... The KTM only uses a digital speedometer. There's no space between the hub and the fork to put the original AT mechanical speedometer. And this leads me to my humble request for the forum gods: how the hell to solve this? Does anybody know of a hub I can swap for this KTM wheel that takes our original speedo? I really don't want to loose my oem cockpit look.

Thanks

#5 ·
Easiest way is to just go with digital speedo and with the parts you have allready bought. If you really want to use the original speedo setup, you have to use the original hub or honda hub with similar speedo drive gear. They can be found in many bikes xl, xr xrv... with single and dual disk setup. There is no even remotely easy way you can get it to work with ktm hub. Just have your local shop machine you a new axle with spacers and use the original wheel and hub. You will run into other problems with brakes, especially if you use the africa twin disks and or calipers. Long story short, I bought a 640adv dual disk front end with brakes and used the original africa twin hub. Easiest and least butchery way to fit the brakes is to have 300mm disks made for the africa twin hub. Then all you have to do is to machine 3mm from both fork bottom brackets on both sides that hold the brembo calipers support. Africa twin disks are that much wider apart. I did not use the original speedo, as I went with full rally conversion, and just machined a spacer to replace the speedo drive gear. On the original xrv forks there is a tab that stops the speedo drive gear from spinning with the wheel, so you will have figure something out, but if you can get that far, it wont be a problem. As far as I understand, the way it was made on the video above, was to machine caliper supports thinner and then new holes were drilled to have them fit the wp forks. I value my life, so I didn't go that route.

#6 ·
Hi to everyone,
I’ve completed the USD conversion in my RD07A. I used KTM 990 adventure front suspension complete with hub, Brembo brake calipers, discs etc. I ‘ve done the upgrade for sometime now and it feels great. I was wondering if there is way to utilize the OEM speedometer clock that uses cable speedometer , along with the tripmaster computer . For now I have a digital Koso speedometer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

#7 ·
Great photos guys - anyone use the KTM450/640LC4 forks and yokes? Is the lock stop the same - as in do you need to re drill and fit anotherone or do they work on the AT750 (rd04) frame?

Thanks

#8 ·
I can only share my experience with the RD07A USD conversion.I followed a different path. I used a KTM EXC upper yoke and welded the ignition holder from the AT yoke. It was a very successful idea although I had to chip the left lock stop a bit from the AT frame. Everything else I used was KTM Adventure 990. Hope it helps

Attachments

#13 ·
nd what did you need to do to the srping/oil? Also, did it go straight on? What about the steering lock stop? any info appreciated ta.
A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.