Honda XRV Forum banner

www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  anton88 
#1 ·
due to my impending higher mileage trips, i'm taking tkc's off at the moment and going for some Mitas tyres as it will be 90% or more road miles.

Went on line and ordered a pair of Mitas E-07 tyres from these guys yesterday afternoon ................. they arrived today :eek:

£111 delivered for front and rear to fit @ :thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft:
bloody good service !

usually around £90 just for a tkc rear !!!

I'm deffo using these guys again - will be getting 1 or a pair of E-09 Dakars for the rear but sticking with a tkc 80 for the front.

#2 · (Edited)
had mitas e-07, and i can say they are a waste of money. and it is not only me, a couple of my friend tried them as well with disappointment.
mitas know how to make offroad tires, but not road.

E-09, C-17, c-02 series are good, but their mileage is poor.

also mitas cross tires perform very good, especially the late >c-18 series.

#3 ·
Hmmm. interesting. I did a fair bit of research on the web before deciding on these, and the only 'problems' i could find were when peoiple tried to run them at very low pressures for off road and they would spin on the rim.

What were your problems with them then ???

#5 · (Edited)
I bought a set of tires for my bmw f650 for commuting in a city. I did 6 k miles until that narrow strip in the middle showed up, then I changed them, although I think You could do much more with them, I was fed up with them. I think they are made in a same way as mx tires - outside thin layer is softer rubber and the rest is very hard compound. That works well with offroad tires but not road ones.

The main thing is horrible cornering. As long as you are in a straight line it is alright but in a corners you will learn when the rear or even front loses traction. The worst part is rain, then even in a strait line you have to be gentle with a throtlle.
After those tires Dunlop Trailmax was like the sticky supermoto track tire :D

My friend went with them on a trip around black sea with loads of curvy roads and he came back in a same opinion - no cornering traction, witch ruined all the point of a holiday - to have fun riding a bike. Others in our club, who tried them, also do not buy them any more with similar responses.

I like Mitas tires, I used to ride mx, and enduro rallies with Mitas tires for many years. I even get them as fresh as possible straight from factory via one Mitas dealer. And I like them a lot. But street tires is something what Michelin still needs to teach Mitas to make (Mitas is now owned by Michelin).

Hope that helps with decision.

#6 ·
Re: www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk MITAS E 07

Right,

This must just be a personal thing with these tyres or differences in batches, as ive just done 2200 miles up to Scotland, the National and then home, mostly fully luggaged up and travelling at a decent speed.

I did have the chance to ride in the wet (with and without luggage), and had no grip issues. I did slow for the conditions, but wasnt riding like an old fart either :nike:.

As for tyre wear, obviously with the riding i was doing its mostly worn in the middle of the tyres. Just took some measurements to give an idea of wear rates :

FRONT original tread depth 5mm after 2200 miles now about 4mm.
REAR original tread depth 12mm after 2200 miles now about 11mm.

So a loss of 1mm in the centre of the tyres after that mileage - not bloody bad in my book. The remaining tryre sections have worn 1/2mm or less.

If that was a tkc 80 on the back it would now be very square (and i understand they are now about £110 just for a fitted rear :eek:).

I will be using these tyres again for road work, and again can recommend trelleborgtyres :thumbright:.

#7 ·
I can agree with these findings although I think anton must have been riding like an old fart on the way home because I only touched a ton a couple of times and stayed mainly just over 85 all the way home and he never caught us up like he said he would on the A1.
I never slowed for the wet,and we hit quite a bit on the way home, and never had any grip problems whatsoever and that was with the luggage on. Out and about friday in the fog and the rain with no luggage I never had any concerns either and off road they seem to be ok on the gravel and grass just got to see what they're like in the mud.
I just can't seem to get rid of those outside chicken strips though must try harder!

#9 ·
In way, i was riding like an old fart, as i had to keep stopping for a p break :toothy2: my bladder was giving me some grief on the way home - must have been that john smiths stuff.

I ended up being 1/2 an hour behind you guys - i did try to go fast honest :D

#8 ·
Anton,
ive seen you ride i would trust your judgement:thumbleft:

Did you consider the eo9 dakar they get great reviews both for on and off road and longevity.Think desert Joe is running them, Look badass too. :cool:

Also can you post a pic or two of the bracket or fitment method you used for your high level mudguard? Maybe a seperate post as this is primarily a rubber one, Cheers Li.:thumbright:

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.