Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How on earth are you meant to check the coolant level in the reserve tank?

I can see the upper and lower level marks on the outside but even with shining a strong torch through the tank from behind then I still can't see the level of the coolant inside.
You can't even look down through the filler spout because it's kinked/offset from the main tank!

Any suggestions on how to check the level?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The way I used to check the level on my 700 was to shine a torch directly onto the tank on the otherside of the tank and gently rock the bike to see the level. Best done in a gloomy garage without the light on. If you still can't see any coolant, it's possible you might need to top it up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was trying to do but unfortunately I don't own a garage!!
Thanks for the advice anyway :)
I'll have to double check it when it's dark.

I must have got it right as I've just had a great day out from home to Denbigh to Bala to Lake Vyrnwy and then down cross country roads to Rhyader and onto Builth Well watching the Tour of Britain. The Tranny worked perfect and never missed a beat :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Same problem! I've never seen it drop throughout 8 years of owning one. Annual replacement due to paranoia.

Enjoy the ToB?

You might've seen me passing with the official photographer on the back, white XL700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same problem! I've never seen it drop throughout 8 years of owning one. Annual replacement due to paranoia.

Enjoy the ToB?

You might've seen me passing with the official photographer on the back, white XL700.

Hi,

I had a great time following the Tour, but unfortunately I never spotted you :-( Sorry :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Def seen your bike, the photographer insisted that I get a sheep for her next year!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another possible option is to get something long and bendy (coat hanger?) and just dip the tank. Holding the homemade dipstick against the tank afterwards will let you know if it's at the right level.

·
Registered
116 Posts
if its anything like my TDM900, you could fill the tank to the halfway line ,but the tdm would spit it out and settle at its own level ,just enough in the bottle , so ifits low in the transalp dont worry to much
Neil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts