Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've still got problems with my XL 250 Degree..
I've got the ignition all working correctly, but now it appears that the plug is getting covered in oil.
I first found that the oil was too high (filled by the previous owner) and now i have replaced the oil and filled it to the correct level.

The bike will now start and run if its cold, but i've got no chance of starting it once its warm, even if i clean the plug or put a new one in?

Anyone help with this one?
Cheers all

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Is it oil or petrol?

Are the valves adjusted correctly?

Can you do a compression check?

Have you tried a new spark plug?

Can you have a look down the spark plug hole & see if the back of the valves are coated in oil? If they are, it may well be that the valve guide seals are leaking letting too much oil into the compression chamber & foulling your plug.

If there was too much oil in the engine it may well have 'huffed' up into the air box & saturated the air filter...i've seen this happen a couple of times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've now at long last found the problem,

I tried just about everything and found that the bike would not start, i changing just about everything in the carb using a Keyster set and i bought a NX250 carb from the states for $50, hoping this would solve it - only to find that the frame prevents a lever carb from fitting.
So what i decided to do was to compare every part in a Keihin CV carb to a diagram found on the net (turns out that the Harley's use a similar carb but at 40mm).
And a revelation ensued - my carb did not have the needle jet, i popped the one out the NX carb and luckily it fitted straight in...

Now i have the XL250 Degree running like a dream and it starts on the button, without choke.. what a result!!

NOw i have it started i can change a few things to make it more suited to me..

Firstly the exhaust is very restrictive and glows red hot at the begining of the muffler, so im ging to start by replacing this - anyone know of a low noise option for this?

cheres all

·
TRF member
147 Posts
Your ignition timing is out,probably too far advanced.Also check your camshaft timing if the engine has been apart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, but thats all ok now... im just after the exhaust and some tips around the fitting etc

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts