Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stripped the XL down (pics will follow!) and basically the cam chain has had it along with the tensioner arm.

A couple of rocker arms are quite worn as well, so totalling all the bits I need including the missing parts (coil, disc, cables, battery, chain etc) come to about 350-pounds

MoT and Tax to make it road legal another £90 or so, lets call it £450 all-in with oil.

Worth pointing out that the engine is really sound, no wear on the bore, engine bearings solid, no obvious wear on the primary gears.

Now, I don’t know what the bike would be worth, maybe £650-750??? But if I broke it for parts I reckon I could get 500-quid without too much trying, but it seems a shame to do so – its not in my nature!

But money being tight (I'm out of work currently), well, the latter option would make more sense. What should I do???!

- Steve

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Keep it, tinker with it, do bits & pieces when you can, dream of riding it...but don't sell it as things will get better, you'll get another job & then be glad that you did keep it.:thumbright::thumbleft::thumbup:

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
I agree! You may be able to find good used parts for cheap or maybe even free... just not all of them at once. Make it a no-hurry, low-budget repair job.

Financially, it would not be worth it if you go the 'quick and expensive' route, so I'd rule that out. But if you can manage to do it on the cheap, you'll eventually have a fine bike and you'll enjoy it even more.

·
Dances with Drunks
228 Posts
There are a couple of complete engines on ebay at the moment, around the £200 - 250 mark. Maybe buying one of those, using the parts off it on your known good engine, then repairing your head at leisure with a view to then either having a complete spare engine or reselling it, is another less expensive way to keep the bike running?

Obviously, buying engines off ebay that you have not heard running is not entirely without risk, but it's another option.

Edit: just properly read the last line of your post. So laying out £200 on another engine may not be such a good plan after all. Hope things pick up for you soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the comments. I have thoroughly checked over the bike again, priced up what’s needed, and can get the beast up and running for £200. That is, by:
- not buying new rockers (worn, but have been offered a cheap repair)
- the cam chain tensioner doesn’t need replacing after all - it was just worn at its tip, which doesn’t normally touch unless the chain is completely sh*gged!
- Fitting an old drive chain (sprockets are good)
- re-using clutch and rocker cover gaskets
- re-using old pads (which are quite new anyway)
- wheel and suspension bearings are all ok

So parts work out at approx:
Front disc 51
Cam chain 52
Clutch cable 13
Throttle cable 15
Battery, cheapo 12
Ignition coil 20
Valve seals 8
Cam bearings 10 (?)
Head gasket 16
Base gasket 4

Now, in this state it could go in for its MoT, so for £350 total (inc tax) it’s a useable bike. Worth doing I think?

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
:blob6: Yes! It sounds like a plan to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts