Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys:toothy7:
my xl 600 is running well but act of getting it going a problem x 2
1. when the starter button pressed in nowt appens.... when realesed there a clicking form solanoid. if you press half way in it turns over most times but not all and it only turns engine over a coupla times each go of pushing button. so starting form cold trikky.
have checked earth... cleaned up ends etc. have put additional earth in n have now one to chassis and one to engine. if you put a panner across the terminals on solinoid engine turns over fine....... any ideas???

2nd. aha you say why not just kick start until prob sorted. when bought bike wasnt mot n hadnt run for few yrs. repalced a few bits inc decopression cable. had a go at settin up but am doin summet wrong as i can kik till blu in face (speaking from lots experience) while holding decomp lever in but she no wana fire up. i am concernd as i hr you can danage valves is not set up right............any one of you super heroes got experience at settin up ????. took to bike garage but they say dont know how to do.

will offer a big sloppy kiss to any helpers....... ok a cyber beer then.

thanx mushes
paul

·
TRF member
147 Posts
Could be the starter motors u/s.Have you checked battery voltage?.
I had a lot of starter probs on plant machinery,would not go off the key,but shorting the solenoid usually does the trick.Many sparks...
Lucas electrical used to check them,but they are no more....
Auto de-comp cable should have between 1-3 mm play at the lever on rocker cover.Push lever till resistance is felt,then adjust cable till resistance is felt then back off adjuster 1 turn,check lever movement and lock up the locknut.This is how I done mine,and its set up lovely.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My LM does this on the starter button, I suspect it's the switch it's self but while it's still starting I never seem to find the time to check it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dude,
When you say you kick and kick it with the decomp lever pulled in but it won't start - you ARE letting go of the lever as the kickstart comes down near to the bottom aren't you?
If you keep the lever held in, the exhaust valves will be permanently held slightly open and then it will never start...

Cheers, mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts