Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been toying with the idea of selling my trusty transalp to maybe fund something that I've always wanted to do, create a cafe racer! (not with a tranny obviously...)

I've a a search around the usual places to try and gauge what it might be worth but they seem to be quite a rare beast these days, especially nice ones. So I thought I'd take a couple of snaps and post on here.

The bike is a 1996 that's done 34,000 miles and it in very good condition for the age. Very little in the way of corrosion anywhere on the frame or swing arm, a bit on the rims but not bad, recently had new chain and sprockets (not welded!) and battery. Has a slightly ghetto set of metal panniers that are acutally ex MOD ammo boxes and are tougher than any expensive aluminium Item you can buy, a stainless Fuel exhaust, super bright LED spotlights and new hand guards.

Bodywork is in very good condition, a couple of minor scuffs here and there but looks very tidy. All in all it's the best one I've seen on the roads and I get the occasional "you don't see many like that these days" comment which I take as the compliment I hope was intended!

Its a brilliant bike that's never let me down so if I decided to sell it'd have to be worth it.

Anyhow, here's some pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that's a grand tidy transalp . hears a taught keep it if its your only bike then gather up a few quid between now and the winter and buy a mechanically sound but scruffy bike and build a street scrambler ( more street cred ) or a café racer if you must . but don't leave yourself bike less for the summer . a half tarted up heap of shit in bits all over the shed with not put a big grin on your face like a long ride in the sunshine on the transalp . don't give up ground you have a grand bike to ride there ride it and build up a bike out of your beer and weed money that way you gain not loose . you can take your time about it and enjoy it and build a stunner if you still got a bike to ride . just my tupence worth do what you want .

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Alias, you have a way with words :)

There's not many 600s like that around.
I had a turquoise N plate, it used to regularly achieve 70mpg when pootling - great bike ;)

sent from my 'phone

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I think if you asked who regrets selling one (or two) Transalps a lot of us would put our hands up, very underated and the 600's are the most purposeful looking in the TA range (imho) I'd keep her and buy a little off road do-er-up-able

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! You're right, it's a good bike and you don't see many kicking around like it anymore. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not ;)

I've been thinking about the whole cafe racer idea and while it's definately something I want to do, right now I don't think I can justify the time and expense of getting into it and doing it properly. But the idea of changing the Tranny has definately taken hold and im increasingly looking at the possibility of selling it for one of my all time favorite bikes, a VFR750/800.

My very first bike was a VFR400 (NC30) and I absolutely loved that thing, until on my 25th birthday it was nicked. I never replaced it and always regretted it cos I loved that V4 howl.

Now, I've been looking at prices of VFR750s and I reckon I might be able to sell the Tranny and end up with a decent one (maybe put a couple of hundred towards it too)

I know they're not the same bike, much more of a sports bike than the TRanny but the fact is that I got the Tranny for both on and off road and I just dont use it off road anywhere near as much as I thought. It's a great comfy bike, but it's not the best thing in the world for road performance ;)

Anyway, I'm rambling... Ideas of it's worth anyone?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Gotta be worth 15-1600 with good consumables etc.

Vfr 750/800 are a lot of bike for the money.
I bought this last year for 1k

Nice/great bike though it is, I reckon the Alp is a better real world bike!

sent from my 'phone

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Stunning bike

It's a keeper in that condition - rare colour too

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Keep the TA, I always go back to them even with other bikes in the garage.
Trawl the local free ads sites, we have Trade-it here, they tend to have cheaper/better projects than ebay and they are closer,
I brought a VT500 to play with locally, the ancestor of the TA.
Lots of projects around especially now summer is approaching, perhaps!! and the winter rebuild did not get done so people are selling them to help fund the summer ride.
happy hunting

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I still say keep it, but if as good in the flesh as the piccies I reckon £1500 if someone has a soft spot for it.
(good job I don't have that kind of cash around or I'd be heading north)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
if your sure you want a load of grunt why not go for a fireblade or an r1 be way better than a vfr 750 way more stomp and much stronger stoppers . I had both a 93 both fireblade and an fzr 1000ru both well abel to go and light on petrol if ridden sanely if your going to do that as in tip around at 70mp you would be better off with a street fighter .they will still get trough tyres very rapid probably cost twice as much as a transalp in tyres . I had a go on a vfr750 I didn't think much of it at all they are not all that fast they are thirsty breaks are not great compared to a fireblade and exaust collector boxes cost a fortune when they rot . they shite on about the vfr being a great all rounder im so sick of hearing that :lol:would I have another 900/1000 cc bikE ? not a hope in hell you have to risk your life on public roads to get any kind of a buzz out of them I find them boreing its really exciteing doing 55mph on the transalp .would I buy another transalp 600 ? I would hate to imagine life without one . they are the perfect bike for my needs I taught I needed an Africa twin buy no the transalp is plenty bike enough for me and twice as affordable . :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the replies guys!

I dont really want an out and out sports bike like a fireblade or and R1, too fast for me, and uncomfortable ;) I still want a bike I can go touring on (once in a blue moon) but also have some fun in the twisties, something which the Transalp is lacking ;)

I actually like the looks of the last gen vfr750s, I think they look just about spot on and you can pick good ones up for around £1500 which is what I hope to get for the Transalp.

Having said all that, the Transalp has never let me down, I've had it offroad over some stuff I wouldn't even attempt on my mountain bike, It's been around the lakes and kept up with my mates Multistrada, and in that time always started first time every time with no issues except one old battery that needed replacing, a warped front disc and some brake pads.

Brilliant bike, I think I'll put it up on ebay classifieds for £1500 and see what happens, but if it doesn't go for that (or very near) I'll just keep it. It'll probably be worth another £200 next year anyway ;)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
if your sure you want a load of grunt why not go for a fireblade or an r1 be way better than a vfr 750 way more stomp and much stronger stoppers . I had both a 93 both fireblade and an fzr 1000ru both well abel to go and light on petrol if ridden sanely if your going to do that as in tip around at 70mp you would be better off with a street fighter .they will still get trough tyres very rapid probably cost twice as much as a transalp in tyres . I had a go on a vfr750 I didn't think much of it at all they are not all that fast they are thirsty breaks are not great compared to a fireblade and exaust collector boxes cost a fortune when they rot . they shite on about the vfr being a great all rounder im so sick of hearing that :lol:would I have another 900/1000 cc bikE ? not a hope in hell you have to risk your life on public roads to get any kind of a buzz out of them I find them boreing its really exciteing doing 55mph on the transalp .would I buy another transalp 600 ? I would hate to imagine life without one . they are the perfect bike for my needs I taught I needed an Africa twin buy no the transalp is plenty bike enough for me and twice as affordable . :thumb:
does your keyboard lack a comma key....?:D just kidding....!:lol:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Keep it...it's a lovely example.

The market is nothing like the AT one for a bike that'll do nearly the same (the rider being the limiting factor! :))

They'll go anywhere an @ can....just not as sexily. :hitler:

ABCD0011.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts