Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for a front wheel / complete rim for an XL 650 2001 (I assume any XL 650 wheel will fit), as I think mine is warped.

Can't see any on fleabay.

Cheers, Ash.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Hi, looking for a front wheel / complete rim for an XL 650 2001 (I assume any XL 650 wheel will fit), as I think mine is warped.

Can't see any on fleabay.

Cheers, Ash.

Obvious and very silly question, but why do you think the wheel is warped? Have you chocked the bike up and spun the wheel and eye-balled it to see if it is actually running out of true?

And yes, wheels are rare enough. If the wheel is banjaxed, then it might well be easier and quicker to get a new rim laced on to your existing hub.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed a 'shonky' kind of handling on a really long bend, as if different parts of the tyre were touching the road as the wheel spun. Not the best description I know... I stuck it on the main stand and spun the wheel and it looked ok, it wasn't a thorough examination by any means. No brake rub or hot discs though, nice smooth action on the head bearing.

I've not had the bike long but the handling always felt a little vague at the front. Don't know, maybe I should just take it somewhere and get it checked.

Oh I was two up with luggage too, I altered suspension and tyre pressures to compensate though. It still feels light when I'm on by myself.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I noticed a 'shonky' kind of handling on a really long bend, as if different parts of the tyre were touching the road as the wheel spun. Not the best description I know... I stuck it on the main stand and spun the wheel and it looked ok, it wasn't a thorough examination by any means. No brake rub or hot discs though, nice smooth action on the head bearing.

I've not had the bike long but the handling always felt a little vague at the front. Don't know, maybe I should just take it somewhere and get it checked.

Oh I was two up with luggage too, I altered suspension and tyre pressures to compensate though. It still feels light when I'm on by myself.
If you are not used to them, then I suppose the Transalp can feel a bit weird. It's the skinny 21" front tyre that does it. It's always described as being "remote" in reviews of the bike, which I suppose it is - but I don't have much recent experience on other bikes to compare it with. When two up with luggage it does help to jack up the rear preload - which is a pain on the standard bike as it is a right faff to get to the top of the shock and the two large castellated nuts that need to be adjusted. I cheated and fitted a Hagon shock with a remote preload adjuster (thanks Phil) and it's much easier now.

And now I'm going to mention the dreaded subject of tyres. Before anyone else expresses an opinion I will say this - there are as many opinions on which are the best tyres for the Transalp as there are Transalp owners. Personally I've found that the, now sadly superseded, Michelin Anakee 2 to be great tyres in the dry or wet. And let's not be shy about this - they are road tyres no matter what Michelin would have you believe. What tyres are on your bike? If you are not used to "adventure" tyres (are they "knobblies"?) then this might go some way to explaining the apparent wayward behaviour.

Just as an aside, whereabouts are you in the UK (no need to be specific) as there might be a longer term owner of a Transalp near enough to give the bike a once over for you. Just a thought.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, having someone more experienced check it over would be advantageous (I'm in Greater Manchester if anyone kind and nearby reads this ;)).

I think the shock is jacked quite high anyway as I can only tip toe the bike with my boots on, I am short but I sat on another alp and I could almost flat foot it.

As for the tyres they are conti go, some k6 were on the bike when I got it and he had a set of the conti unused. I whipped them on because I wasn't going to ride on the road and I dislike the feel of off road tyres on the road (I've had a few off road bikes and am familiar with the odd road handling). The tyres seem ok in the dry but they are definitely lively in the wet. Maybe it is just because I have crap tyres on. Just thought I may as well get my use out of them before forking out on a new set... On the way home, on an obviously private road, I had the bike up to 95 on the speedo and it felt planted.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Assumedly you've checked head bearings?

Bike on main stand, do bars fall each way? Very loose? Slight resistance? Tight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bars turn nicely in my opinion. Feels smooth, not too loose and no crunching. I had a head bearing fail on a CBF600S so I know what it feels like when it goes. It was like holding onto a pneumatic drill over bumpy roads and the bars would shoot side to side and even bounce when you pushed them on the centre stand.

I think it's something to do with the wheel. I had a diamond maxxis on the front of my cbf, I took it into the garage and swore blind there was something wrong with the forks or springs. Got them changed for a road attack II pair and for the ten miles I had them (got knocked off next day, bike written off) the bike felt much better. So the cheap tyres are probably to blame.

What made me think it was the rim is that in a certain light it looks like there is a thin line or bump across the width of the rim. I'll have a better look tonight to make sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts