Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  chunkolini 
#1 ·
Hi.
Need some advice please, (and you've never let me down yet!)
2009 XL 700. 20k miles total. (I've done 13k in the last 12 months). Absolutely love the bike.
I've noticed this last few months, that I feel a slight juddering through the front forks, when I brake.
I feel it through the handlebars, and it's as if something is slightly loose. It's not terrible but does seem to be getting slightly worse with use. I feel the slightest bump through the bars until the forks start to compress.
I've checked all the obvious things, including the brake caliper etc, and everything is tight. I've got a center stand so have been able to check there's no movement with the Bearings etc.
I'm fairly handy with bike mechanics but have no experience of the stripping down or workings of front forks.
I'm hoping it's nothing expensive and wondering if the forks simply need some more oil in?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lloyd

#3 ·
I feel the slightest bump through the bars until the forks start to compress.
Is that only when you are braking? The symptoms you describe would make me check the head bearings first, but you've already done that. If it only occurs under braking, then it could be brakes, but if it does it without the brakes on, I'd check the head bearings again. Even with no detectable play, they can still knock sightly under load; they need a slight pre-load, given by the tightening torque on the stem nut. If it turns out there's nothing wrong with the brakes, I'd re-torque the stem nut. Check for any notchiness at the same time. If in doubt, drop the stem out and have a close look at the races in the headstock, particularly the lower one; it takes the most load and even the slightest mark means it's worth replacing.

The other thought is worn fork bushes, but that would need a strip-down to check properly. If you're handy with working on other parts of the bike, then forks are no great challenge, especially with a centre stand. Got a manual?

Not convinced low oil would give these symptoms, but worth checking. You'd kick yourself if you stripped it all, then found out it was just oil level.

#4 ·
Hi. Thanks for that.
I feel a bit daft really but I've checked the head bearings again and there IS definitely some play there.
In fact it's quite bad. Sorry for the misinformation earlier.
I'm quite please really as I'm hoping it's quite a quick fix.
Can anyone tell me please how to tighten the head bearings?
Thanks again

#5 ·
Two methods really; by the book with a torque wrench, or by feel. If you've never done them before, the torque wrench is probably the most reliable, if you can get hold of one. If you go this way, once you've set them up, get a feel for the amount of friction this gives, before you put all the cables/wires etc back on. Then next time you can do it by feel.

If you do it by feel, take all the cables/wires off that can add resistance to turning the bars. Tighten the nut up until all slack is gone, then see how easily the bars will fall to one end stop under their own weight. Start loose and gradually tighten. This is a bit easier without the weight of the front wheel, so drop that out first. When set properly, there should be a slight resistance to turning, but the bars should turn smoothly to the end stops without any notchiness or variation in resistance. Once you've got it where you think is right, tighten the top yoke centre nut and re-check: this will often tighten it slightly. Back-off, loosen the stem nut a tad, then re-tighten. Repeat until you're happy. It takes longer to explain than to do, and it's difficult to explain 'feel', but if you're handy with other tasks, you'll soon get the idea. Leave the top yoke clamp bolts slightly loose while you do it, but leave the forks in to keep the yokes aligned.

Once it's back on the road, test it. Any vagueness, knocking or flopping into corners suggest it's too loose. Any stiffness or unwillingness to turn, however small, suggests it's too tight. It will inevitably feel different if the old ones were loose, but if you've got it right, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvement.

Personally, I'd replace the caged ball originals with taper rollers, I think they give a smoother feel to the steering and don't wear as quickly, but properly lubricated and adjusted originals are perfectly OK. Down to personal preference, really.

Good luck. And RTFM!:thumbup:

#6 ·
Just to let you know that I have sorted the problem !!
It was the steering head bearings that needed to be tightened.
The fix was fairly simple and took about 20 mins.
I took off the handlebars.
Undid the big nut in the centre of the top yolk.
I then tightened the bearing top threaded casing by tapping it clockwise with a screwdriver and a rubber mallet. I turned it approx 30 degrees.
I did this in increments, all the time checking the play in the front wheel, until there was no play at all.
The bike is like a new bike now. I think there must have been some play in the bearing when I got it. It now rides so smooth with no juddering at all. Unfortunately, it's not possible to get any grease in the bearing without removing the yolk.
Thanks for the advice and hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

#7 ·
My new RD04 Africa Twin does this, at around 80mph it starts to judder, feels like an out of balance wheel.
There is a pile of balance weights on the rim.
On mine it is not under braking just around the 80mph mark.
On Sunday I will have a look at this and report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.