Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am in the process of replacing the clutch cable on my 2011 XL700 Transalp after noticing an area of fray in the original cable. It is difficult to see the cable path around the head of the bike area, even with plastics off so I gaffer taped the new cable to the old one and pulled the new one through to ensure correct routing. All went well after a bit of fiddling and helping it along but when when the new cable was just over about half-way home, I noticed this strange object (see pic below) with the thin wire bit around the outer of the old clutch cable. I am guessing that it must be some sort of guide though the wire "hoop" is very flimsy?.

The white plastic bit is brittle plastic, no bend or give in it at all. I have no idea where it does or how important it is, and now I fear little chance of being able to get it back to wherever it came from. Can anyone shed any light on it? Come across it before? Any thoughts or info from any others who have come across this would be appreciated before I hook up the new cable and adjust it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
on the 650 there is this plastic clip that the cable passes through, this clip is attached to the frame tube. it just holds the cable in place. when i changed my cable i could not get this clip back in place so i just used a loose cable-tie instead

your clips looks like it does a similar job?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, yes, I guess it is some form of clip. I have put it all back together now and zip tied it in various places I can access, it seems really tightly packed in among the other cables and all working good so going to leave as it is for now.

Thanks

·
Administrator
1,767 Posts
It looks remarkably like a temporary keyring I had from a garage when changing a car a few years ago. I'll see if I still have it. I've seen nothing of the sort on my (650) Transalp and I don't think it should be on your 700.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts