Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new to trail bikes and just bought old XL185. Hope to have a go at green laning/off roading but also want winter hack/general hack use out of it.

Can anyone recommend a good road biased tyre for winter use, ie not knobblies? Don't seem to be many manufacturers catering for these strange wheel sizes!

Thanks muchly in advance, I'm off to surf around the site and see what trailie bikers get up to........

·
Snotty lane fan!
160 Posts
What size are the wheels?

I thought they'd be 21 and 18 which is very common and lots of choice!

I couldn't recommend any particular tyre as it's a very personal choice.

Personally I use the knobbliest tyre I can and ride very carefully on the road!

Anything other than a very agressive trye will be totally useless off road especially in the winter.

Great bike by the way, hope you have lots of fun with it.:blob5:

Any pics?

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I had one of these little bikes...

Took me all over Hampshire, Berkshire, Kent, Surrey etc...until I grew out of it.
I started off with Dunlop trials tyres, because back in 1986 I didn't know any better. Then I went on to Michelin T61 & Pirelli MT17s, which were much better.
But the choice of tyres nowadays is excellent, as many dirt bikes have 21" front & 18" rear so the choice is good. For general use I found that Pirelli MT21s suited my XR400R until I needed to do an enduro & needed far better grip from a more aggressive pattern enduro tyre. But the MT21s were good for bikes that needed to do a bit of roadwork in between green lanes.

And by the way, welcome to the forum...mine is a pint of London Pride please.

Try www.trf.org.uk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Lady!
I have an XL185 which gets regular hard use on and off road, and despite having several other bikes up and running, I still love the little bike.
Mine works well on "Barum" Trials tyres, it's not really heavy or powerful enough to tear the lugs off the tyres on tarmac, if you do go for trials tyres, try to avoid the softest grippiest sort, tell the supplier you are going to be doing a fair bit of road work, if he knows his job------
Prepare to be amazed at just what this bike is capable of. Think I'll go for a bimble on mine right now!

Good luck, Dogwheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! Still getting the hang of these strange tyre sizes but the replies have definitely helped.

I haven't been far on teh bike yet, only got it Sunday and went round the block so itching to get out there. I got the impression when I was looking into small trailies that this was a good choice, which makes me even more keen to get on it!

Thanks for the welcome :thumbup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heidenau Catspaw tyres are a good all rounder. Otherwise on my other XL I use Michelin Comp3 or AC10 but they are MX style tyres, but I find them fine on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts