Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't fancy stripping the forks so does anyone know the stantion length for my '79 XL185? Mine are pitted so would like to replace them but wondered if any other Honda ones will be a straight swap, or if anyone can say what other forks can be a straight swap?

Cheers

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I used to have a XL185SA many moons ago & I replaced my fork legs with another set. I've just measured one that I still have lying around in the shed & it's 23" long & 31mm in diameter.

Great little bikes...I rebored my one with a piston for the XR200 taking it from 180cc to 198cc, as well as having the standard cam reprofiled for slightly more lift & duration. This worked well...until I bought a basket case XL250SA & rebuilt that, which was heavier but a lot more fun because of the extra power.

As far as I remember the XL125SA had the same rolling chassis so may well have the same forks.

Have a look see here honda front shock absorber 79 81 partsmanual fiche xl185s for part numbers which'll give you a starting point & then look up the ones for the 125.

Excellent little bike. I rode it all over the green lanes of Kent, Surrey, Berkshire & Hampshire & thoroughly enjoyed it. If you have a look at the thread 'Show us your XL' http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/xl/43961-show-us-your-xl-honda.html you may well be able to find a pic or two of my one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that, I have used CMSNL for loads of things in the past, good way to see how things are supposed to be, I have seen some stantions on ebay for a CM125 which are 600mm which is slightly longer than these but only by about 16mm so sure I can work with those, I have tried the araldite trick but just not enough, need to pop to the local car garage as well to see if I can get some old valve springs to add to the top to increase the spring pressure as standard old ones are a bit soft and can't afford new springs as well.
The bike is good apart from that and all MOT'd etc so been out and about a bit recently, just need some decals for it and one of the very elusive R/H side panels, will put some pics up soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts