Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated with resolution - XL250s indicator / turn signals staying on and not flashing

Hi.

So the first problem has cropped up with the "new" XL. The indicators come on but do not flash so I suspect the flasher relay. Can anyone point me to the location of the relay please so I can do some testing.

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great, thank you for taking the time to post this. I was searching for "flasher" and "indicator" but didn't think to try "winker"!

Hopefully something straightforward but it will be good to have a look over the bike this evening and see if I can sort it.

I have ordered the Haynes manual so this should help reduce the number of newbie questions :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a quick look at this last night. Battery voltage good, replaced the main fuse as it was losing 1.5v across the fuse for some reason but this didn't cure the problem. I wanted to remove the seat but couldn't see how to get it off. Strap removed but it wouldn't budge. What am I doing wrong? :(

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm not sure what year yours is, but if it's late 70s, the seat is held on by two bolts under the sides of the seat. They go through two flat plates that are part of the seat base, and thread into the frame, just behind the top shocker mounts.

The wiring on these is often pretty ropey, largely due to corrosion. I'm not suggesting your indicator problem is down to this, but both the looms I have are corroded a long way back from the ends. The wiring is pretty simple, so if you have problems, it's worth checking that first. If yours is a 6volt model, it doesn't take much extra resistance to stop it working properly. Persevere with it though, they are still great bikes:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what year yours is, but if it's late 70s, the seat is held on by two bolts under the sides of the seat. They go through two flat plates that are part of the seat base, and thread into the frame, just behind the top shocker mounts.

The wiring on these is often pretty ropey, largely due to corrosion. I'm not suggesting your indicator problem is down to this, but both the looms I have are corroded a long way back from the ends. The wiring is pretty simple, so if you have problems, it's worth checking that first. If yours is a 6volt model, it doesn't take much extra resistance to stop it working properly. Persevere with it though, they are still great bikes:thumbup:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was first registered in September 1982 but I suspect it is a 1981 model so one of the last dual shock XL250s as far as I can tell. I know very little about them but I remember wanting one when I was 15 years old (in 1982!) and this is the first chance I have had to realise that ambition.

I took it out for a ride yesterday evening and it was great fun. My other bikes are a 2018 Bonneville 1200cc and a 1941 BSA 500cc so it's a very different ride. Much lighter and more nimble, just great to zip around the lanes near my home.

I want to commute on it so the indicators need to be sorted for that. I will try again to remove the seat (and tank?) to get to the wiring and indicator relay and get it fixed.

Thanks once again for bearing with a demanding newbie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update and resolution - I managed to remove the seat and tank and found the indicator / flasher / winker relay mounted under the frame / over the engine. It looks like the original part with a corroded aluminium casing and I noticed that by tapping the case it would flash once and then revert to the lights on constantly. I stripped it, resoldered the internal joints and cleaned the contacts before refitting and it was the same as before so I used a pair of needle nose pliers to gently adjusting the bracket holding the bi-metallic strip which makes/breaks the contact. A little trial and error and it now works, albeit not perfectly with the engine stopped but fine with the engine running.

I have also had a quick look around under the tank and noticed some poor looking connections which I will address another day.

Thanks again for helping me get to this stage :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts