Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps 'n laydees,
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the XL500R's lighting coil will run a 55/65 Watt Halogen bulb in place of the pointless 25/35 Watt thing it has as standard??? Does anyone know the rating (either in Watts or Amps of this coil)?
I've just started to repair the utter bodging crap that someone has done to my 500, gash loose wires to the horn, gash loose wires to the rear brake switch, non-working front brake switch, gash loose wire from handlebar wiring to rear light, trapped and broken wires around the headstock etc etc etc - was hoping to get the thing MOT'd this weekend - don't think it'll be done now...

Cheers, Mark.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
My XR400 is only 80watts output for the lighting coil so I bought an uprated one from these people... Electrical parts > Honda MX Motorcycles - stator generator regulator rectifier who may well be able to answer your question about the output of your XL500R lighting coil. As for your question about being able to run a halogen bulb, electrically you could probably run a 35/35 halogen, but physically it may well not fit your headlight unit, & it may well melt the lens with the heat, as i've seen this happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dude.
The lighting coil (and associated lighting regulator which is separate to the main regulator) ONLY runs the headlight. The tail light, brake light, indicators, horn etc all run off the battery and the other (main) regulator.
I'm hoping the lighting coil has enough oomph for a 55W H4 Halogen - it won't be the original light coz that's crap!!!
I've been ripping off all the crappy wires that some numbwit overwired things with, and getting the original loom working properly - repairing the crushed and broken conductors, I am gradually getting everything working as it should..!!..

Cheers, mark.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Prob not much help but my Haynes manual says 50w 6v, not right on mine as it's 12v as I thought all the Rs were.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cheers Ade,
I might try a google for that.
But, I want to use a Halogen H4 55W, coz the light colour and intensity is light-years better...

Cheers, Mark.

BTW, the ignition switch was only making proper contact intermittently, so I stripped it down today.
BOING - springs and contacts all over the floor!!!
Cleaned and greased everything up, and much fiddling, cursing and grunting later, it's all back together and working correctly now!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers dude,
Is that the total alternator output - for everything, or just the lighting side of things mate???

;-)

·
Registered
78 Posts
.......hmmmmmmmm, good question :confused: not sure watt the answer is to that one.... :D I got the data off a 1982 "BIKE" magazine article, which I shall scan & post on here for all interested (XL500R vs XT550) :thumb:

M6NTL, send me your email & I'll send the (crappy) photo's I took of the wiring around the black-box under the h/light [email protected]

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I seem to remember that copy of 'Bike' magazine...didn't it have a test of a Velocette Venom as well as the dirt bike test?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I seem to remember that copy of 'Bike' magazine...didn't it have a test of a Velocette Venom as well as the dirt bike test?

No.... :sad1:

Its got a bit on a trip to Glasto on a couple of old brit 500 singles, a test on the TSS Triumph 8v, the XT125 & Beta 125.....

Be patient, and I'll try to scan & post details soon :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It always surprises me how many different parts they can throw at one model. Got nothing like that on my rc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers guys.
Mine's got KMH clocks too, but they're square!!!
Deffo an import, it says so on the logbook...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts