Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and looking for some advice on buying an XL500R. I saw a guy riding one at the weekend and was smitten!

Stuff like what to look for when viewing, and perhaps some advice on availability of spares etc.

Any thoughts on the thorny issue of what I should expect to pay for a bike at different levels of condition etc.

Anyway - that's it for now

Thanks! Rabbit

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Stuff like what to look for when viewing, and perhaps some advice on availability of spares etc.
Any thoughts on the thorny issue of what I should expect to pay for a bike at different levels of condition etc.
Hi Rabbit.

Only real issues for me are all engine related.
Camshaft runs directly on the alloy in the cylinder head and can wear so listen for top end noise.
Blue smoke from the exhaust is normal in an older engine but make sure the engines started from cold so you can see it at it's worst through warm up.
After warm up on a test ride give it a fairly hard on-off throttle in first and second gears, (mind the wheelie). You're making sure the gearbox is ok so hopefully it doesn't jump out of gear.

Spares are not a prob as David Silver Spares - HOME can supply everything and there are more suppliers out there.

Prices from £300 (not moving) to £2000 mint.
Happy hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts