Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum, I need some advice about converting my bike from drum brake front to disc as i have recently had some heart stopping moments with my front brake, i would like to change the front end without having to do too much engineering and also keep the steering geometry as close to original as possible, the ideal would be to fit some forks that are the same diameter (35mm) and the same length axle to top and distance apart, another way would be to fit a front end that was close to the original and re-engineer the yokes steering stem to fit the frame....is there anybody on the forum who has managed to fit a disc brake front end and kept it close to the original steering geometry ? does anybody have any suggestions as to a donor bike ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
i thought the later models went to disc but i its probably the xl600 im thinking of,sorry.the only other thought is a same year cr250 crosser wheel they where disc

·
Registered
190 Posts
i think you will struggle to find a set of forks the same diameter with a disc set up.on a xr 500 crosser i built i used a set of forks from a later xr 250 ,i had the yoke spindle taken out of the xr 500 and pressed into the newer xr 250,these where a lot beefier fork with a longer travel but it depends how original you want it,marko

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for replys...i ended up fitting an xr250 front end and having the xl500 yoke spindle pressed into the xr 250 yoke as marko did...a much better and more powerful brake now! and a beefier front end and though i do like originality i really like this conversion....i would now like to convert the bike to rear disc brake ... anybody out there done this?...has anybody got any suggestions as to the best donor bike for this conversion...also i am looking to convert the bike to 12volt by changing over all the electrics from a later xl anybody out there done this conversion and what xl would be best donor.
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts