Honda XRV Forum banner
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  thetimkirby 
#1 ·
Hi All

Just rebuilt my Honda XL500s 1979 which I've had from new, first time back on the road since 1990
The problem I have is a noise from the spedo head, at first I though it was the drive then cable but with cable disconnected from the head unit the noise has gone, so I'm presuming it must be a dry bearing ( if there is one) if there is one. Anybody had this problem? Thanks

#2 ·
Had it from new for 38 years! That must be some kind of record.

Sadly, my 250s has had a series of careless owners, and the speedo also makes a noise. It's a cyclic whirring, it's not the cable, so I'm guessing it's a bearing, too. I did take the unit apart; not easy, the top and bottom plastic casings are glued together. I did oil the bearing, but it still makes some noise. It works, so I haven't bothered to strip it again; the bike has many other faults that need the attention more.

If it hasn't run since 1990, any oil is likely to have dried out. Taking the casing apart without damaging it is quite tricky, so I'd suggest you try oiling it carefully without taking it apart first. Try a small amount of light oil, like 3-in-1. If you want to be sure it's the head, shave the end of a bit of dowel to copy the cable end and put it in a battery drill. Stick it in the drive head and spin it slowly, and see if it still makes the noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.