Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an XL600LM which I bought off a garage who then had it back because of a problem with 5th gear jumping. Long story short I got the bike back after 3 months and then it ran ok for a further 4 months then siezed. Took apart and the pain started. One cam lobe was almost round and the follwer was a nice new shape! As well as an oval bore, totally worn little end yadda yadda yadda. Turns out the garage had used the piston to stop the crank moving and taken a chunk out of it and filled it down and put it back in! Cutting a very long story short there were lots of bodges everywhere but now they have all been sorted and even managed to get a new honda cam after weeks of looking!!

My problem is now, I am concerned as to why that a cam lobe went. Is this a common problem due to wear and tear or is this more likely to be a oil starvation issue??

I have gone down the route of oil starvation and had the oil pump looked at while apart and that was fine. Next was that pipe from the bottom of the frame. I decided that the one on there was fairly limp and could well be collapsing in on itself so ordered a new one at great expense..... fitted that and it was just as kinked as the one which came off just stiffer!!

So decided that maybe this was the way it was supposed to be so filled it up with the 2 litres of oil I was told it would need (possibly slightly less). Was advised to pour about 0.5 litres down from the top of the head so did this.

Fired her up, which was quite difficult with a flat battery and a knackered decompressor cable!. Let it warm up for 5-10 mins. Turned off and took off the cap and let it settle for a min then dip the oil and there is basically nothing in there at all!!!!

What am I doing wrong? How much oil do these bike take from empty??? I loosened the oil pipe going from the pump to the head and there was oil coming out from the join so would assume its getting to the head?

I am probably being really dumb - thinking of putting more oil in the girl but thought I would check with you guys first!

If you have read this far you are a patient person! Any advice would be much apprciated! :)
Gavin

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
First off I don't have an XL600, but bear with me.

The method for finding the oil level on my Transalp, is to run the engine for a few minutes and then switch it off, then hold the bike up right on a level surface for two to three minutes then, and only then, check the oil level. This is done by unscrewing the cap / dipstick and wiping it clean and then re-inserting it but NOT screwing it in, just let it rest on the threads.

Checking the oil level can be more complicated than some people think.

Maybe there is a similar procedure for your machine?

Alternatively, someone will be along in a bit that knows what they are talking about......... ;)

Sorry that you've had such grief with your bike - hope you get it sorted soon. :thumbup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Cam wear is defenetly related to oil starvation. Try this (rather messy) method: locate the oil pipe that brings oil to the top end. Should be a metallic pipe that bolts onto the rear-right side of the top of the engine. Now, with the engine running, undo that bolt slowly. If oil pours out, the lubrication is fine (top-end lubrication is not done under pressure so no problem).

The manual for your bike specifies 2,4L of oil total capacity (assuming the engine was opened for inspection, actual values should be pretty close to that).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my feeling. Trouble is that the bike was so badly bodged inside that I can't be sure when this cam lobe had eaten itself - could have been like it for a while!

Ah ok so it looks like someone could have told me the wrong amount of oil required then! I will pop out and get another litre and top it up with another 400ml and see if that makes any difference!

After spending the monumental amount of money I have spent on this bike I really am worried about damaging all those nice shinney parts!! :eek:

These bikes run hot - have any of you guys found cheap and simple ways of installing oil coolers? Also is 10w 40 alright as have heard some people saying they use 20w 50??

Cheers for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts