Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i'm thinking of dropping a tooth or 2 on my xl has anybody done this and what were the results :confused:

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
If you drop 2 teeth from your front sprocket then front tyre wear will be decreased as the tyre wouldn't be on the ground very long. One tooth off the front would make the gearing more responsive but decrease your top speed slightly. But by reducing the overall circumferance of the sprocket it would cause the chain to wear quicker. You might also have chain to top of the swingarm clearance problems.

If you reduced the rear sprocket by two teeth it would be similar to adding one tooth to the front sprocket ie. make the gearing less responsive but make the engine more economical in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info , i was thinking of dropping just 1 off the rear just to drop the revs a bit when cruising along.

good idea or not :confused:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
thanks for the info , i was thinking of dropping just 1 off the rear just to drop the revs a bit when cruising along.

good idea or not :confused:
It is a good idea but you'd be better off adding a tooth to the front or 2/3 less off the rear to do that.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Whenever I use one of my bikes for sport/touring (R1 or Exup1000) I drop the rear sprocket by 3 to make it worthwhile. The bikes still pull when you give them a handful, they give better fuel consumption & any buzzing that you get through the footpegs/seat/handlebars with standard gearing is moved away from that part of the rev range.

So in answer to your question, I wouldn't have thought that just one tooth would be a noticeable improvement, but -3 would (similar to +1 on the front sprocket).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I tend to leave the front sprocket as it is as you can run into problems with the chain rubbing the cases etc, I'd deffo change the rear by two or three teeth to get the change you require.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've had a 16 tooth on the front of my xl600lmf without probs. You normally don't have to adjust the chain length by changing the front sprocket either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts