Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

NOW SOLD (18/07/2010)

OK, what's it worth?

I have a "C reg, 1986? I think" (Twin Headlamp) XL600LMF which has been lurking in the back of my garage for some time.

After seeing the amazing job Mel Jordan did with his bike some time back, I hunted one down with the intention of restoring it one day.

Reality and unemployment has sadly set in, so it's probably going to be the first casualty of a garage clearout. I've no experience of these bikes, and to be honest I've got Africa Twins and spares coming out of my ears, so working on them is easier for me.

Bike is a runner, but needs TLC, or preferably a nice restoration job on it.

Bike was in the middle of a partial restoration when I purchased it, and the previous owner told me the following.

Engine was partially rebuilt, with replacement head and valvetrain and various bearings.
Forks were rebuilt and repainted
Rear shock is excellent
Wheels were rebuilt with Heavy Duty Stainless Steel spokes and near mint original DID rims, and brand new Tourances (which are tubeless with those unique rims)
Brakes were rebuilt, front has Stainless steel line
New DID X-Ring Gold Chain and Sprockets
Bike is complete and original although the engine needs repainting (it's an odd mix of blue and black) and it has a stainless steel bolt kit fitted (which I don't like)
Bike has all original seat, panels, exhaust etc

If the price is right, I will sell it with a host of parts I've picked up for it over time including

Original red magnesium engine cases (both sides)
Nice good condition clean swingarm (in original anodized gold)
Spare big tank
New battery
Renthal handlebars
Back light lense
And anything else I've forgotten!

If I end up keeping it, my intention was to do the following;

Blast and powdercoat the frame (quoted £60)
Repaint engine red
Repaint spare tank (currently in primer)
Repair or find a replacement battery tray
Fit replacement swingarm (which I have) as current one has cosmetic damage to gold anodizing from battery leakage.

It has a few electrical gremlins with the lights which I'll cure before it's officially on sale.

The bike has run in the past, and I have ridden it around a bit, BUT IT WILL NEED FURTHER WORK and should be considered an interesting project.

It's right at the back of the garage in a PITA place, but I'll try and drag it out to take some pics asap to post up.

So, what's it worth? Are you interested?

I'd like to say I'd take a swap, but the money is more important at the moment (edit) UNLESS you have a nice open top/Canadian canoe clogging up your garage!!!

Bob :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some Pics

Oh God, I can't make up my mind what to do with it now. It is nice, and could be great with some further fettling.

Come on, any idea of value please?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some Pics

Oh God, I can't make up my mind what to do with it now. It is nice, and could be great with some further fettling.

Come on, any idea of value please?
nice example and good project for someone ;)

seen a couple of average condition runners over here recently €1000-€1500 but it is a smaller market

keep it if ya can :toothy2: tis a classic :happy8:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello bobA nice pic,s I m looking for a project bike like this which image is your bike as one has a gold swing arm and one silver or is that just me and also . Im new to this forum or any forum come to that can I arrange a meet to look at this bike.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello bobA nice pic,s I m looking for a project bike like this which image is your bike as one has a gold swing arm and one silver or is that just me and also . Im new to this forum or any forum come to that can I arrange a meet to look at this bike.

Hello Neil

All pics are my bike.

As I pointed out in my first posting, current swingarm has damage to the gold anodizing. I think this was caused by a leakage of battery acid.

I have a replacement swingarm with great anodizing, ready to bolt in.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear, as I've had a few enquiries.

I'm undecided on what to do with this bike, so am merely testing the water at the moment.

Would just like to know people's idea of value as it stands (Thanks Alan :thumbup:)

Cheers

Bob

·
2,701 Posts
Bob, don't sell it !!!!!! . . . . . it's only worth ten bob . . . . . so you might as well keep it.:thumbleft: :D :D

ps
you will be sorry if you sell it.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent an hour or so on it today and sorted out all the electrical issues.

Charging up the battery tonight and will get some clean fuel in it tomorrow, to see how it runs.

If it looks promising, I might even try getting it MOT'd.

Come on, someone must have an idea of value???

:D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Asked the same question for mine without a lot of joy. Market changes all the time. Mine had some piston knock but I've got all the gear to fix it, also it's not standard paint but I still think it was worth £400 with t n t.
Yours I think is more sort after with the twin head lamp, good spares and original paint job.
I think it'd be worth £600/£800 as the engine needs work.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, brief update.

With the (naff secondhand) battery charged AND some jump leads and fresh petrol, I got it started today.

Once started it ran and idled sweet, with no rattles, knocks or other noises.

Left it idling for about 10 mins and was then getting worried about some smoke off the engine, but managed to trace this to an oil leak from a loose allen bolt in the head. Snicked it up with a dab of threadlock and it seems to be cured.

Took it for a quick ride, and it pulls well and rides nice and firm, and the brakes are strong.

All electrics, lights, horns, indicators now work perfectly, and instruments are working as well.

I do have a brand new battery for it which I'm loath to fill with acid until I know what I'm doing with the bike, but the starter motor was very sluggish trying to start it. One of the leads is really naff, so I think I'll try and source a replacement and try to get the thing starting off the button, then I'm really tempted to MOT it.

Come on you lot, SOMEONE must have an idea of value??

Bob :thumbup:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I'm not sure mate but I'd like to make a bid on that bike stand in your avatar!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm, confused. I'm not selling anything.

Bob was looking for a value for his bike so i posted a link to someone else selling his collection, that way Bob gets an idea of value and condition.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Roamer... I thought your name was Richard wi the xr650L wulls next door neighbour.. sorry Man ave got it wrong......... john

1 - 19 of 19 Posts