Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy all,

This is my first post here

I own 2 XL600 one is XL600R 1984. PD03 and the other XL600LM (bigger tank,electric starter) 1986 or 1987 (I dont have the papers from this motor). I am rebuilding the XL600R and will put the motor and all electric wirings from LM in it. I have 2 questions:

1. The battery on the XL600R is much smaller (I think its 12V 4AH) then the one from LMF which is 12V 14AH. Because the bigger battery doesnt fit in the frame of XL600R, can I put a smaller battery with less "power", like 12V 9AH or 8AH. Will that hurt the alternator ???? I dont know much about the electric stuff...

2. Does someone know where to find the manual for XL600LM??? I searched and searched but found nothing, only the manual for XL600R.

This is my first rebuild and Im doing everything myself (with help from you guys ), it takes time, but its fun!!! I wont open the engine until it stops.

I will open a new thread with all the photos from the rebuild soon...

cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
The lower current capacity rating of the smaller battery won't harm the alternator or charging, but where it MAY struggle is with staring on the starter motor.
You'd be amazed at how much current it takes to crank an engine over, and maybe the lower rated battery won't be up to it.
I don't know for sure though...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The lower current capacity rating of the smaller battery won't harm the alternator or charging, but where it MAY struggle is with staring on the starter motor.
You'd be amazed at how much current it takes to crank an engine over, and maybe the lower rated battery won't be up to it.
Wot he said. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tnx, then Ill have to buy the strongest possible battery with dimensions that I have and hope it will be enough :D

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The XR650L i basically an XR600R with a dommie engine (electric starter)
And the XR650L have a battery that is sufficient for the starter.

You could check how the battery is situated on the XR650L frame.

The frame for the XR600R and the XR650L is very much the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The XR650L i basically an XR600R with a dommie engine (electric starter)
And the XR650L have a battery that is sufficient for the starter.

You could check how the battery is situated on the XR650L frame.

The frame for the XR600R and the XR650L is very much the same.
Tnx :thumbup:, I would have never thought of XR650L, Ill try and find on the web the dimensions of the battery because no one that I know has an XR650L.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hy all,

This is my first post here

I own 2 XL600 one is XL600R 1984. PD03 and the other XL600LM (bigger tank,electric starter) 1986 or 1987 (I dont have the papers from this motor). I am rebuilding the XL600R and will put the motor and all electric wirings from LM in it. I have 2 questions:

1. The battery on the XL600R is much smaller (I think its 12V 4AH) then the one from LMF which is 12V 14AH. Because the bigger battery doesnt fit in the frame of XL600R, can I put a smaller battery with less "power", like 12V 9AH or 8AH. Will that hurt the alternator ???? I dont know much about the electric stuff...

2. Does someone know where to find the manual for XL600LM??? I searched and searched but found nothing, only the manual for XL600R.

This is my first rebuild and Im doing everything myself (with help from you guys ), it takes time, but its fun!!! I wont open the engine until it stops.

I will open a new thread with all the photos from the rebuild soon...

cheers
i think your best bet would be to go for a battery of a full on enduro bike like wrf 450 or husky 510 etc.i had a wrf 4 odd years ago and the battery was tiny but had serious cranking power.i would certainly look in to this area before spending any money.the xl600r battery will be useless.goodluck mate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i think your best bet would be to go for a battery of a full on enduro bike like wrf 450 or husky 510 etc.i had a wrf 4 odd years ago and the battery was tiny but had serious cranking power.i would certainly look in to this area before spending any money.the xl600r battery will be useless.goodluck mate.
I found out that the battery from xl600lm has 14aH and 140 CCA (cranking power). The battery for wrf 450 seems to be this one:

http://pmd.varta-automotive.com/pmd2/showBatterieDetail.do;jsessionid=EA6E48A960E11EE0711A98B6259005A1?ArtikelNr=507902011A514

This one is much smaller and has CCA 110, I will probably buy this one, hope it will be enough.

Does it matter that this battery has only 7 aH and the one for xl600lm has 14aH?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I found out that the battery from xl600lm has 14aH and 140 CCA (cranking power). The battery for wrf 450 seems to be this one:

VARTA. The power behind. And beyond.

This one is much smaller and has CCA 110, I will probably buy this one, hope it will be enough.

Does it matter that this battery has only 7 aH and the one for xl600lm has 14aH?
It's the amps that gives the starter motor torque. The more the better, I think it would struggle with only 7 amps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the amps that gives the starter motor torque. The more the better, I think it would struggle with only 7 amps.
Hm, I always thought that the amps show how long the battery can operate, the more amps the longer it can give electricity and that the CCA value starts the motor. But I dont know much about electricity :confused:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hm, I always thought that the amps show how long the battery can operate, the more amps the longer it can give electricity and that the CCA value starts the motor.
You thought right. Don't think I read that right sorry.
You're dropping the cracking power by 30amps. Think it might struggle on a cold morning but if it's a good starter you may well get away with it.

I don't think you'll have any probs with the change from 14 to 7 ah.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You thought right. Don't think I read that right sorry.
You're dropping the cracking power by 30amps. Think it might struggle on a cold morning but if it's a good starter you may well get away with it.

I don't think you'll have any probs with the change from 14 to 7 ah.
Tnx ! In the winter I will just use the kickstarter :toothy10:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts