Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've noticed what is either a crack or corrosion to the rim of my rear wheel around the valve. There is also what looks like a smaller linear crack on the edge of the rim too. I posted the image on pistonheads and the general consensus was that it looked serious enough to investigate further so Im posting here to ask people a bit more familiar with the particular bike / wheel.

Is this likely to just be corrosion and the annodised coating of the rim is lifting off or should I be more worried? Is it common to these particular wheels? It must have happened relatively quickly as I havent spotted it before.

If it is serious, is it rim rebuild time? can anyone recommend where I could get this done in the Liverpool / Lancashire?

Or where I can buy a new wheel from? had a quick look online but didnt find anything

Lastly, would you still ride on it like this?

Many thanks

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
539 Posts
If the rims are anything like those on the XRV, it's almost certainly corrosion working it's way through from the inside of the rim. It typically seems to occur around the tyre valve, where damp can penetrate through relatively easily - this happened with my XRV after around 12 yrs/45k miles. I had the hubs fitted with new rims/spokes. Re. your photo, imo it certainly looks to be structural rather than cosmetic. However, take off the tyre and check the inside of the rim, this should give a clearer answer. I had my wheels rebuilt by Central Wheels in Birmingham, who did a decent job. Or you may well find a decent used wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks for the replies all. would you still ride it like that? or time to put it to one side until its sorted?

It seems to have happened very quickly. probably due to all the rain we've had recently.

thanks for the link. I suspect finding a gold one wont be easy. Do the XRV wheels also fit then ?

Does anyone know where i could purchase a rim from if looking to do a rebuild?

many thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the rims are anything like those on the XRV, it's almost certainly corrosion working it's way through from the inside of the rim. It typically seems to occur around the tyre valve, where damp can penetrate through relatively easily - this happened with my XRV after around 12 yrs/45k miles. I had the hubs fitted with new rims/spokes. Re. your photo, imo it certainly looks to be structural rather than cosmetic. However, take off the tyre and check the inside of the rim, this should give a clearer answer. I had my wheels rebuilt by Central Wheels in Birmingham, who did a decent job. Or you may well find a decent used wheel.
thanks I've just had a chat with them.

Its £350 and 4 weeks for a rebuild so not toooo terrible. At least it would be the right colour.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My thoughts on the the matter are
DO NOT RIDE with a front wheel in that state.
My guess is that it's been developing for a long time, the "happened very quickly" is because the corrosion has finally weakened the rim to the point where it is no longer strong enough top contain the pressure of the tyre and tube, as well as the shocks of hitting bumps in the road.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Happened to mine, can't remember if it was a front or back, but it was going to be a pending MOT failure , and I'm not sure I'd want to risk riding it like that, sorry.

I managed to pick up a new rim off fleabay (they do, or did, occasionally pop up) and got a new wheel built - think it might have been SFX up Birmingham way , it was a number of years ago so I can't fully remember. They did a good job though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts