Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 2009 XL700 cutting out on me.

It runs great when ridden BUT the problem is with the idle speed. It won't stay at around the 1200rpm level that it should! So when you start it you have to keep revving it and when you stop in traffic, at junctions, etc you have to rev it to stop it cutting out.

I've put in a new air filter this morning and cleaned out the breather pipe but no affect on the running. The old one was filthy so it needed doing anyway.

Could it be spark plugs?

Otherwise can you manually adjust the idle speed at all?
Could it be a stretched throttle cable that needs tightening?

Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It shouldn't be that as I've already had the plug caps changed. Thanks anyway

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
Does it tickover OK when cold (fast idle?)? Maybe a temperature sensor problem.
I don't know much about the TA700 injection system ..... but I'm told the VStrom system will give idling problems if the clutch switch is faulty ... apparently it uses a different map when the engine's out of gear ;)

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
My first thoight was plug caps. Daft but are you sure they are good and the correct spec?

Does it do it when hot/cold or both?
Hot, the lambda sensor controls fueling.
Other things could be, tps fault/out of adjustment, are there air screws to balance the throttle bodies, a bit like balancing carbs.

Another thought, an air leak ie from the throttle bodies or from a badly fitted/removed scotoiler or split vac hose.
The more I think about it, the more I think it could be an air leak.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
i would check the TPS (throttle position sensor). might need resetting?

or look for a suitable screw near the throttle cable control!

ie somewhere near this bit

700_sfit1.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first thoight was plug caps. Daft but are you sure they are good and the correct spec?

Does it do it when hot/cold or both?
Hot, the lambda sensor controls fueling.
Other things could be, tps fault/out of adjustment, are there air screws to balance the throttle bodies, a bit like balancing carbs.

Another thought, an air leak ie from the throttle bodies or from a badly fitted/removed scotoiler or split vac hose.
The more I think about it, the more I think it could be an air leak.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
AND THE PRIZE GOES TO ......... PUSD :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

I changed the air filter which was needed but that didn't help. :(
I cleaned the spark plugs but they seemed okay, but I've replaced them anyway.

But whilst checking the spark plugs I inspected the vacuum hoses and I noticed that the vacuum hose that my Scottoiler plugs into was cracked.
I ordered some new hose which never arrived so picked some up from Halfords. Eventually due to life I managed to get around to stripping the bike down and changing all of the vacuum hoses. They were only changed 18 months ago BUT all sections were very cracked and three of the sections had cracked through!

All replaced, all reassembled and she now runs perfect again. :D

Thanks again PUSD, I owe you a shandy :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts