Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
6 months ago I bought a xl700 transalp to do a bit of touring. For peace of mind I done a clutch change ebc heavy duty plates and springs. Full service k&n oil filter & silkolene super 4 10w40 semi synthetic. Ever since the bike has been a b*tch to get into neutral when warm. Bit of a clunk sometimes when shifting into 1st but apart from that shifts easily and smoothly through all gears. I've adjusted the cable to factory specs and still does the same. Anyone any ideas short of pulling it all apart again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In my experience, difficulty getting neutral usually means clutch drag. Does it clunk loudly when you put it into 1st and or bike lurches forwards ? if so, clutch is dragging. Could be you got something wrong when you fitted it or it’s just not a good fit. Could be badly adjusted. Are there instructions with the clutch kit advising different way to adjust it from standard ?
The heavy duty springs are the prime suspect. Doubt you really need them tbh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience, difficulty getting neutral usually means clutch drag. Does it clunk loudly when you put it into 1st and or bike lurches forwards ? if so, clutch is dragging. Could be you got something wrong when you fitted it or it’s just not a good fit. Could be badly adjusted. Are there instructions with the clutch kit advising different way to adjust it from standard ?
The heavy duty springs are the prime suspect. Doubt you really need them tbh.
Hi Martin
Cable adjusted and clutch fitted as per honda workshop manual. Tbh you've confirmed what I thought that's its likely the springs are the issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thing is, if you can’t pull lever in enough to release all the plates then it will drag. I put hd springs in my old Ducati and always have to select neutral before I pull up. Oil choice can make a difference too, it needs to be suitable for motorcycles with wet clutch. Good choice of bike, I love mine n chose it for touring etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same now on my AfricaTwin 98. Drag, when on first.
Change cable to new oem, didn't help.
Replace old springs to oem, didn't help.
Lever comp,clutch - is ok, I buy another old. measure is the same.
Replace upper bearing on clutch cover for lever.

Nothing help... Clutch plates (and other parts) was never replaced, so it's original assembly.

Oil Motul 5100 - 10w40.

Any ideas? Replace clutch kit (plates, etc) can help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same now on my AfricaTwin 98. Drag, when on first.
Change cable to new oem, didn't help.
Replace old springs to oem, didn't help.
Lever comp,clutch - is ok, I buy another old. measure is the same.
Replace upper bearing on clutch cover for lever.

Nothing help... Clutch plates (and other parts) was never replaced, so it's original assembly.

Oil Motul 5100 - 10w40.

Any ideas? Replace clutch kit (plates, etc) can help?
Have you tried adjusting the cable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
For replace springs, don't need to open clutch and I didn't do this, because, i think, that all steps that I done, may be will help... So I don't know if steels discoloured. I think too, this can be a reason for drag... will try to replace steels (all clutch kit). Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I once red an old article about a test of a new Transalp 700. And one of the complaints was that the new bike was hard to get into neutral. On my own 700 I have the same problem, is harder to get my bike into neutral than my Suzuki Bandit 650 from 2006. I have Repsol 10w40 semisynthetic.

So I think it is normal for an 700.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts