Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to start my XL700 after a few months in the garage. Battery is fully charged. After inserting the key and turning it to the on position nothing happened. Moving it a degree or two anticlockwise the lights came on as usual and it started fine. Jiggling the key a bit while the engine is running turns everything off. Now I'm paranoid about it randomly turning off when I'm riding if vibrations move the key to a position it doesnt like. I assume this is wear in the ignition barrel. Would anyone be able to confirm the liklihood of this before I embark on a very expensive replacement? Praying there could be some other reason with a simple fix! Cheers.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I may be mistaken but if I recall correctly, there are two components, the lock that the key goes into and the switch which is attached to the bottom of the lock - I think these two parts will seperate (they may be riveted, or have security screws.
Your problem could be a bit of corrosion on the contacts meaning jiggling the key makes or breaks the contact.

Before delving deeper or splashing money, I'd spray some wd40 etc down the ignition barrel & work the key to see if it comes good

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
That’ll be a temporary fix. You really need Contact Cleaner and spraying it down the keyhole may not get it exactly where it needs to be. I’m not sure of design of these switches, but if its a rotating contact as opposed to a lever contact then simply switching it on and off about 20 times will often wipe the contacts clean. Do you store your bike for long periods and battery connected ? If so be warned, that corrosion you gat on the battery terminals can also form on the contacts of the ignition switch. Damp also plays a part in this

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’ll be a temporary fix. You really need Contact Cleaner and spraying it down the keyhole may not get it exactly where it needs to be. I’m not sure of design of these switches, but if its a rotating contact as opposed to a lever contact then simply switching it on and off about 20 times will often wipe the contacts clean. Do you store your bike for long periods and battery connected ? If so be warned, that corrosion you gat on the battery terminals can also form on the contacts of the ignition switch. Damp also plays a part in this
Yes, I do exactly that. Didn't know you were supposed to disconnect battery. Good tip. Anyway, combination of wd40 and turning it on and off repeatedly seems to have sorted it. So thanks all for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts