Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2009 Xl700 for it's first proper 'long' ride today, 100 miles down to cornwall - fine, all smooth, very happy.

On the way back about 30 miles in there was a sudden loss of power, engine spluttering like it had no fuel- even out of gear it would not rev past 3000.
Pulled over, checked plugs/leads/fuel/oil. Oil high (topped up too much last night apparently). Everything else seems fine, coolant steady at 76'.
Restarted engine - back to normal, normal power etc - so drove to garage and refilled fuel tank just in case the reader was playing up.

Bike then fine cruising at 65mph for 50miles. Long uphill section, had to accelerate heavily to get past some trucks, fine until came down the other side of the hill when the engine cut out completely - not fun!

Again, switch off, switch on - back to normal.

Decided to stick to the back lanes for the last few miles, terrible idea. Bike fine for 5 mins at slow speeds 30-40 then loss of power/splutter.
Engine off, engine on - back to normal
5 minutes more - loss of power.

Now home and wondering where to look first?

Could too much oil cause this? High oil temp/pressure cut off?

Maybe the fuel sender is dying after 5 minutes, on/off resets it?

Topped up tank before i left with petrol from a jerry can 2-3months old but only a few litres worth?

Fitted a +1 front sprocket yesterday but can't see that having any bearing...

Please could you help me? Otherwise it's off to the professionals but not till pay day!

Cheers all

·
Registered
300 Posts
Could be a fuel blockage somewhere. Have you tried undoing the petrol cap when it happens? Maybe the breather hole is blocked.

Nick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok interesting, i have moved the tank to fit electrics recently could i have squashed it? where is the breather?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm thinking of the small hole that most bikes have in the fuel cap to let air into the tank. Also because you have recently moved the tank it might be worth checking the fuel line.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
The last time I had to raise the tank I found that when I re-fitted it that one of the fuel pipes had got caught and kinked a bit. Not much BUT enough to cause a few fuel flow issues.
I'd lift the tank again and give that a check.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
There was an issue with faulty plug caps causing running issues on some 700s, might be worth trying some new ones although I have no idea why switching off & on would make it run ok again.

It could be any number of things although re reading your post, does the issue seem to happen more at lower speeds? If so that would generally rule out a fuel supply issue.
Is there an fi light when it happens?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE ----

Ok so turns out there are two breather hoses, one was disconnected at the joint which may have been causing an issue.
Not much room in there but i fitted an inline fuel filter and rerouted everything to avoid any kinks

However:
Took the fuel pump out to take a look/clean...now wont make a seal when refitted...what!? Haynes says that a new seal is needed for refitting but its pretty thick rubber not sure why that would be the case?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry but I had the same problem when I took my fuel pump off ... I ended up with several litres of fuel on the floor. :-( You DO need a new gasket rubber at £30+ plus :-(

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
No it's not rubbish. I am speaking the truth. The old seal was correctly aligned but did not seal and petrol just leaked out. Once the new seal was fitted zero petrol leaked out.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean no offense, not saying that you are talking rubbish, just that it's rubbish i can't reseat this perfectly ok looking gasket.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have ordered a replacement

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
UPDATE ----

Ok so turns out there are two breather hoses, one was disconnected at the joint which may have been causing an issue.
Not much room in there but i fitted an inline fuel filter and rerouted everything to avoid any kinks

However:
Took the fuel pump out to take a look/clean...now wont make a seal when refitted...what!? Haynes says that a new seal is needed for refitting but its pretty thick rubber not sure why that would be the case?
What inline filter have you fitted and why?
An external filter won't be required as the in tank pump unit will already have suitable filter/s although they may not be easily recognisable or easily replaceable. The best way to check is a fuel flow test.

As your bike seems to run ok at speed/uphill then get worse when you slow down it's unlikely to be a filter blockage IMHO.

Is the filter you fitted fi pressure rated & not a cheap generic thing for low pressure pumps or gravity feed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
new tank seal arrived- finally no more leak!

took the time to clean out the fuel pump filter, very cruddy

next up new plug caps, leads and coils...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh and got rid of the inline filter... yes it was just a cheapo plastic one, i hadnt realised the issues they caused.. back to straight hose! :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Whilst you had the fuel pump out you didn't by any chance take any photographs of it that you could post did you?

For a few years now my fuel gauge has not worked, and over the last 6+ months the tank has developed a noise indicating that something has worked/broken loose.
I've been checking it out this morning with a snake camera on my fone and there is definitely a loose piece of metal rattling around in there. It's partly semi-circular and flat and I suspect that may also be responsible for a bit of rough running from maybe blocking the fuel output? Unfortunately with the shape of the tank it won't come within reach of fingers to extract it and it looks like an alloy so I can't use a magnet to grab it!

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order another new seal myself and take the pump off and re-fit once I've removed the rattle, but I was hoping you may have some photographs so that I can see if it is a crucial piece that has come lose and can be discarded or whether I'll need to order a new pump as well :-(

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
188 Posts
HURRAY!!!!!

It's out, well there were actually two pieces loose inside the tank.
One piece was the float and float arm. The other piece was a shaped alloy piece that holds the float arm onto the main assembly body and has the tiny electronic sensor switch/connectors to register the fuel level.
I've no idea what should hold it together but there does not appear to be anything else loose inside the tank.

All told I think that's taken me about 2 hours to get it out. Once within reach the float arm was just tricky to manipulate out, the alloy piece took ages as I had to shake the tank gently to get it to within view of the filler hole and I then eventually after MANY attempts slipped a piece of copper wire through the shaft hole on it. It then took several attempt of then rotating the tank upside down before it actually stayed on the wire and came out!

Now to put everything back together and see if it fires up smoothly now!
Then I can give my Tranny a good wash which was actually all I'd intended to do today!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey sorry was just about to reply with images!

Well done, yeah my fuel float was very 'wobbly' at the joint too...but nothing seemed to be missing.

The new seal worked a treat first time by the way

1 - 20 of 22 Posts