Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A week doesn't go by when I don't end up spending money on the bike! It seems that I may have bent my bars a little bit in an off-road tumble as my hand guards now hit the screen on one side when going full lock.

I've been looking at new bars and am struggling to work out what is compatible. I can get the OEM bars for around £130, which seems allot for a painted bit of extrusion with a few holes in OR I can go after market and get some Renthals for a 3rd the price however it looks like there might be a few caveats.

My issue is with the OEM controls which have locating pins (particularly the throttle) - has anyone fitted aftermarket bars and if so did you cut the pins or drill a hole in the bar? In addition does anyone know which bars work well to replace the stock setup?

I had a search threw the forum but struggled to come up with anything. Thanks for the help as always!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
when i replaced my bars on my 650 i got a 2nd hand pair and got them powder coated, as i wanted the locating pins for the switch gear

are you sure the bars are actually bent? it could be something else. try loosening off the bars and the yoke/fork bolts and bending them back, then re-tightening

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link! Not 100% but I'm replacing the steering head bearings this week as there is a nice notch in the middle so all the bolts will be being re-tightened to specified torques and can confirm. Am trying to get slightly ahead so that if it needs replacing I already have the necessary info!

I'll double check everything. I don't have many moral issues with drilling holes if necessary - I have bark busters so don't need the bar end weight holes either which makes it a little easier. Just the throttle tube/reservoir and controls. I actually found the inability to rotate the controls on the clutch side a pain because I've got the bars rotated up for being stood up - makes them slightly less comfortable to use when sitting which is when I need them, not sure I ever use those controls when standing.

I also found someone who had fitted Renthals and said they do fit although a tad tight - Renthal Bars Do Fit!. With bar risers I wouldn't think this would be an issue though (not that I have bar risers).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
have you changed the steering head bearings before? if not, good luck getting the old ones out, as it can be very hard...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't, but given I'm pushed for time I'm having the garage do this one and hopefully they've changed a few in the past :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So had the bike in for the bearings, they had them ordered in for me. Seems the bike actually has the wrong bearings fitted (or at least so I'm told), and the ones the garage ordered in were the wrong size despite checking against chassis number - so no new bearings for now, but with the yoke bolts adjusted the notching has pretty much vanished.

In regards to the bent bars, my mechanic agreed they were bent but did some kind of trick (something about a wheel, a wall and brute force) to bend them back a bit so are now allot better at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts