Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do we think of the plastic sump guard on the 700 ? I took the TA off road for the first time yesterday and after the obligatory check of the underside during cleaning afterwards I thought that the CAT was an accident waiting to happen which the guard doesnt cover at all. I know there is a thin reinforcement plate welded on the CAT but that wont last long. Also the plastic sump guard has a great big gap on the underside so it doesnt actually offer much protection to the sump anyway.

As the 700 is new there doesnt seem many after market parts available yet. Touratech have abot 4 things available compared to hundreds available for the BMW GS's, including the new 800. So whats the deal, we cant be a niche market with a name like Honda ??

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
I think we may have to wait a while to see after market sump guards for the 700. I also noticed how vunerable the CAT looked if taking off road.

How was the bike off road?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am sorry to disapoint you boys, but the new Transalp is NOT a ofroad bike.:D:D If you realy want to go ofroad you vil be loking at the CRF or the XR.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The new Alp may not be an off road bike, but the 650 is and has a similar sump guard design. I rode this year's Stella Alpina plus the Routa della Assiete on mine and took the precaution of adding a sheet of 3mm aluminium to fill the open space to the rear of the sump guard and proect the vulnerable water pump. The centre stand sits under the cat box so should protect it.

While riding at up to 40mph, the underside of the bike received many rock hits and on several occasions bottomed out on the far side of big crests. On inspection, the plastic sump guard had several deep gouges and one discoloured dent but no holes. The alloy sheet had several dents, suggesting that it earned its keep. The most visible damage, still cosmetic, was sustained by the centre stand, which had deep gouges on the under face of the legs.

In conclusion, I'd say that between them the bash guard, aditonal alloy sheet and centre stand offer enough protection for moderate off-roading but perhaps not enough for trials type going with big rocks - not that you'd try that on the Alp....

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
Damn.. And I've just applied for junior kick start!! (Do you remember that on tv???:thumbup:) I was thinking more of a country lane or a bit off the beaten track stuff than hardcore off road :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry to disapoint you boys, but the new Transalp is NOT a ofroad bike.:D:D If you realy want to go ofroad you vil be loking at the CRF or the XR.
I know its not an off road bike having come from an MX background but it is able to accomodate a bit of light green laneing or firetracks now and then which i what i bought it for and got rid of a KTM EXC for. They advertise it as being an adventure bike so thats what I will use it for. EXC's are the king of off road not CRF or crappy XR's !! (Stand by for incoming !)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we may have to wait a while to see after market sump guards for the 700. I also noticed how vunerable the CAT looked if taking off road.

How was the bike off road?
It was OK really but then I didnt really wind it up. I was riding around a what might have been bridleway so didnt want to get shot by the farmer so just bimbled around looking like I had taken a wrong turning. Standard trailwing tyres are wrong type for off road and I would easily break traction and slide even on a dry track.

Took it on a fire track up at Dalby forest and it was fine on that. More suited to the trailwings but thats what gave the CAT a good battering I think with all the rocks etc. Plan a rouger green lane soon that will test the suspension. This lane bottomed out an XT660 when I test drove it. I expect it will do the same to the TA, probably worse but at least it will have some power which the XR didnt.

·
Registered
375 Posts
And if you look at those pics closely you'll see the Motech centrestand appears to have a section to give added protection to the cat...

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
If anyone has one of the new 700s and lives somewhere in a commutable distance to the New Forest, and fancies a ride over, we can arrange to measure up and get some sturdy metal ones made at Rugged Roads.

However, it may take a few weeks as Chunk is busy with lots of manufacturing but we do have the technology and know how to do it:D:D:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bummer, that Motech guard looks good, I've repainted my plastic one once already from rock gouge marks. I've got the givi engine bars though and am sure they will conflict with this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was exactly my reaction! However, I have got Givi Bars on my XL and hopefully Rugged Roads will be able to overcome that challenge when they measure up my bike!

Fingers crossed!

TM

·
Registered
209 Posts
That was exactly my reaction! However, I have got Givi Bars on my XL and hopefully Rugged Roads will be able to overcome that challenge when they measure up my bike!

Fingers crossed!

TM
TM, When you are ready we'll have to get together and sort this sump guard out for you. The sw motech one looks a tad expensive.:thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Expensive yes! But i can vouch for the sw motech sump guard. It's not heavy at all considering it's size.-leaves a bit of a gap at the front of the bike for mud to get in too. It combines beautifully with the sw-m crash bars. I have heard many a clunk of medium sided stones banging off it and upon inspection everything is still sturdy and dent free. (this can not be said for the cat.)
I didn't realise the sw-m centre stand had some cat protection- will have to check that out- as well as those rad-guards. Mmmm..

note- the front side panels are a pain to get off as it is- having sw-m crash bars makes this even more of a challenge.
Are people finding this as problem with the givi bars too?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts