21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
ah.. those rad guards are touratech.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
What do we think of the plastic sump guard on the 700 ? I took the TA off road for the first time yesterday and after the obligatory check of the underside during cleaning afterwards I thought that the CAT was an accident waiting to happen which the guard doesnt cover at all.
Personally, I think that the stock 700 guard looks pants - I really like the look of the Touratech version - but no delivery date available........

If the CAT is anything like the one on a 650, they are pretty robust - certainly a lot more stronger than an alloy sump guard!

Phil

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Personally, I think that the stock 700 guard looks pants - I really like the look of the Touratech version - but no delivery date available........

If the CAT is anything like the one on a 650, they are pretty robust - certainly a lot more stronger than an alloy sump guard!

Phil
I've since ordered a Touratech guard after seeing one at the NEC bikeshow fitted to an XL700V. I wasnt sure whether to get one there and then but all they offered as a show incentive was free carriage so i postboned the decision and have since ordered one. No contact yet since i ordered between Xmas and new year so they will all probabl still be pissed.

I've also ordered a manifold guard to replace to standard blinged up chrome effort in an attempt to make the TA look a bit more hardcore. I have another thread on that issue on here but it hasnt had much response so I'll shut up about that. !

J

·
0 Posts
The sump guard from SW Motech looks really good but the euro rate today makes it too expensive at aroud £150 and P&P so if Rugged ???? can get one made for a decent price then I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes.
Any idea when they will get a prototype done otherwise I'll be forced to get the SW Motech item grudgingly !!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should imagine that the plastic OEM item is pretty feeble & unsuitable for serious off road work. I had a Classic green laner & the very first mod I did was to fit a sump guard. It was made of heavy gauge mild steel. It certainly earned its keep as it soon had a large dent made by something that would have certainly "Modified " the BSA alloy crankcase !!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts