Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all (and a belated Happy New Year).

Been lurking for a long while - bike hasn't turned a wheel for about three months (did something to my back - managed the same trick last year, too!).

Anyway, I'm hoping to be back on the road shortly, and, casting around for things to improve the beast (spending the Xmas prezzies!), I came across this variable screen mount:

Honda Transalp XL700V Windshield / Screen Adapter on eBay (end time 13-Jan-10 19:58:46 GMT)

which, after a bit more digging, seems to be the same as this:

Honda 700 Transalp

Looks like a good idea to me - and I noted mention of something similar on the Varadero pages - but I'd like to know whether anyone's tried one and, if so, what they thought.

Any views?

Cheers,

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm - not enough patience ;) (back to work tomorrow).

Decided to go for it on the basis of the website pics - it looks well-made from the close-up here: http://palmerproducts.auto.officelive.com/images/transalp.bmp

:)oops: Yes, I know - Downright bad manners to ask for views and not wait for them! Not the first time, probably not the last . . . Terrible fellow!)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have not tried one, I do not have a 700.
It looks very much like the screen mounts used on the Dullville.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tony,
Looks like a good modification - and one I'd be sorely tempted by, were it not for the fact that I already have the Honda touring screen which came with my bike. I hope it suits your needs very well. Please report back on how you get on with it.

PS. Sorry to hear about your back. Can be absolute agony, as I know from personal experience!

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts.

Quite a few bikes come with adjustable screens - especially the tourers - not sure why the Alp didn't warrant one. All down to cost, I suppose.

I wondered about investing in a taller screen, but they're not cheap and past experience suggests that it's pot luck - could make things better or worse. I ended up "hacking" a fairly expensive after-market screen I put on a BMW K100 some years ago, and never really got the result I wanted. The idea of having different positions available seemed like a better bet - and, in the end, if I don't like the result, I can take the thing off and sell it!

Apparently the screen mount is now in the post - I'll let you know how I get on.

As to my back, I think it was my own fault the first time - too much enthusiasm and not enough suppleness when I changed the back tyre in 2008. Don't know what I did this time, but had the painkillers in the house and it's mostly gone (although I still have a slightly numb left foot).

Just want a nice warm, dry day! (Ho, Ho!)

Take care,

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi
That screen brkt. looks the bees knees, wish they made one for the 650 I would try one straight away. Be sure to let us all know what its like on the 700. ------ Chris

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, parcel arrived today - which is pretty good, given that I only ordered it Sunday tea-time!

It looks every bit as good in my paws as it does on the website, and seems to come with everything you need to fit it - including two nice-looking chrome combination spanners and two allen keys. Well finished stainless, not a raggy edge in sight - real professional job.

I haven't tried fitting it yet - it's fluffy freezing out there, so it can wait a while! I'll do some piccies as I fit it.

Watch this space!

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XL700 Windscreen mount - Palmer Products

Well, it took a while to get round to it, but it's now fitted.

Here's the pics, as promised:

First impressions, out of the box, are good. Well finished stainless kit, supplied with all the fasteners, the two spanners and two Allen keys you need to fit the kit, and a selection of spare washers and so-on.

Starting from standard:

Take the screen off (cross-head screwdriver):

Fit the brackets: These fitted perfectly - no fighting to get the screws in, and the provision of two extra holes solely to allow you to get the Allen key into the two front mounting screws shows a bit of thought for the practicalities of fitting!

Then refit the original screen - again, no problems. The instructions contain dire warnings about not over-tightening the screen bolts!

And that's it done! Took about ten minutes, could be done in less (but I wanted to take my time, and was taking the photos).

The range of adjustment seems considerable - the next two pics show the extreme low and high positions (there are nine possible positions altogether):

From the rider's viewpoint (more or less):

So, there you have it.

I settled for a "middle-ish" position to start with (had hoped for the weather to improve enough to tempt me out to try it, but it hasn't happened!).

The kit came well packaged and very promptly (he deals on eBay as well as directly, I gather - 'cos mine came via eBay). The kit, in my view, is pretty good - I can't think of anything that would have improved it.

It remains to be seen how it performs on the road, but I can't see why there would be any problems with it. Get's my vote! :thumbright:

All the best,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Tony,
I've been longer interested in this type of adjustable screen but wait until someone actually can tell his experience.
So far I have the Honda high screen and have no complaints except when its very warm,then it would be nice to have a shorter screen.
Can you tell me how high this screen is in the highest position?.
My screen is now a few centimetrers below the top of the mirrors.
I saw at your pictures that the higher you set the screen the farther it moves away.
How will that affect the air flow between the screen and the dashboard?. Because if that creates another annoying airflow behind the screen ,i don't know.... ?.

Enjoy

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, Grey alp.

Not sure what it'll be like yet.

The adjustment effectively gives three height positions (by choosing the relevant slots for the front mounting bolts) and three available angles in each of those positions (by choosing the slots for the rear mounting bolts).

The pictures above show the thing in the lowest and most "laid-back" position, and the highest and most "tipped forward" position (the bars were at full lock, I think, when I took them). There's quite a lot of scope for experimentation with position.

At the moment, it's set in the middle position both ways, and the top of the screen is maybe just below the top of the mirrors. By shifting the bottom mounting, it could move up or down by about an inch or so, so it might go to an inch above the mirror tops - probably not as high as your Honda screen. Shifting the top mounting will rock the top back or forwards by an inch or two.

There is, as you note, now quite a gap between the screen and the front of the fairing, which will allow some airflow (and let me clean the back of the screen). This might actually reduce turbulence - although the same firm does a baffle plate to reduce the gap (for a price, of course!).

I can't see it being very different in that respect from a conventional handlebar screen on an unfaired bike, where the thing is entirely open at the bottom. I've had a few of those over the years, and they've generally not been bad, once suitably adjusted.

I'll need to wait and see, I suppose.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tony M, any thoughts on how this performs?

Tony M - I'm thinking of getting one of these (see my thread of last week) and have just discovered your thread. We've got to the fitting (very helpful pics) and now waiting with bated breath to hear your views on the results!

I don't happen to like 'barn doors' in front of me much (personal taste) and would not go for one of the big screens but I do need a bit of protection as, at around 90 the wind blast is significantly more than my previous Strom.

What do you think of it?

Cheers.

·
Older - maybe not wiser!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, Tim.

I must confess to not having put a lot of miles on since I fitted the mounts, and today was the first time I tinkered with the screen position (also the first time I've looked at this forum for quite a while!).

I'd love to say everything was perfect but, if I'm honest, it's hard to remember how bad it was with the screen on its own, and how much difference the adjustable mount really makes. Also doesn't help that I had an open-face lid on today.

I'm convinced it's an improvement on the standard Honda installation - coming back down the M6 today involved speeds I don't generally get to, just to keep up with the flow of traffic (like, the sort of speeds you mentioned), and it was OK, where I'm pretty sure that it would have been unbearable with the bike as delivered. It's partly about having a standard to judge against - I've had a big tourers with screens that were much better, but also very much bigger. There was no significant buffetting, no huge wind noise - it was pleasant enough, but I wouldn't have wanted to keep it up for hours at a time! Then again, one of the things I like about the Alp is that you're out in the breeze a bit - and I didn't buy it with motorways in mind.

I could persuade myself to look at a slightly bigger screen (not so much taller as wider - I don't like looking through them), but I'm not in any rush to spend more cash.

Not sure that helped a lot - but you did ask!

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts