Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

forum idiot here again...

i pushed my bike yesterday with a disc lock round the rear sprocket. not sure if im being paranoid but i think i may have bent the bracket that holds the chain guard as it now looks like it is rubbing on the chain slightly.

can anyone post a pic of theirs for comparison? or comment on if this looks normal? can i bend it back ?dont know if its steel or aluminium .

it wasnt particularly forceful and i felt it stick and realised what id done and stopped pushing so id be surprised if its bent, but i dont remember the chain guard rubbing and i did clean it very recently .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or just a photo of a typical chain guard position would be great from the same angle as the first pic

·
Registered
789 Posts
Looks well clear of the chain and sprocket - put it on the centre stand / paddock stand and slowly run the bike in gear to see what's going on. Have you taken off the chain guard or not use it?

Also put on your to-do list...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took the chain gaurd off to get it home yeah , could do with a photo of it on couldnt i to explain the issue but i dont think the plastic would have bent as its flexible. i think its more likely its the bracket.

oh yeah! hadnt even noticed that, is it an issue upside down?

ta

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are drainage holes on the bottom edge (the opposite end of UP when fitted correctly) so water doesn't sit in the swing arm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are drainage holes on the bottom edge (the opposite end of UP when fitted correctly) so water doesn't sit in the swing arm.
oh great, ok well they are both upside so thats concerning. will have to turn them round. thanks for pointing it out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok got some pics with the guard on. as you can see its very close/lightly touching the chain. does this look correct? it seems like maybe the plastic has bent?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just carefully tap the bracket with a rubber mallet - or use a adjustable spanner to bend it a fraction until its where you feel happy.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Difficult to tell - The plastic chain guard could have deformed from the impact of the lock hitting it and just needs tweaking back ( hot water?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Difficult to tell - The plastic chain guard could have deformed from the impact of the lock hitting it and just needs tweaking back ( hot water?)
hot waters a good idea.. i'd just ordered a second hand one so will give that a go and if its still wonky i'll think about bending the swing arm bracket.

thanks for your replies btw

·
Registered
37 Posts
just heat it with a heat gun and bend it slightly until it stops touching... be careful not to heat it too much or you will melt it..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just heat it with a heat gun and bend it slightly until it stops touching... be careful not to heat it too much or you will melt it..
you mean heat up the plastic?

ok so i bought another plastic guard and that also rubs so it seems i have bent the bracket somehow. i have a few options

• heat the plastic to a new shape
  • bend the metal bracket
  • chop a bit of the plastic away so it doesnt rub anymore
- my preference is to bend the bracket. i cant get an adjustable on away that i can force it because of its profile. can anyone confirm if this steel or alumimium? dont know if i can just whack it or not

cheers

·
Registered
789 Posts
"steel or alumimium"

Try a magnet on it

Will taking the rear wheel out give you space to get at the bracket?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"steel or alumimium"

Try a magnet on it

Will taking the rear wheel out give you space to get at the bracket?
great minds.. just put a kitchen magnet on it and it sticks.

yes that would help but not sure if im getting out my depth. regarding aligning it and getting the chain tension correct. its turning into a bigger job then i though. got to learn some day though i guess and also got to flip those water outlets

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
before i start bashing, how much force would it take to misalign the rear wheel? could i have done this with the lock?

it was a fairly gentle force but im now wondering if thats thrown the sprocket out and thats why the chain is wonky

1 - 20 of 30 Posts