Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is there a workshop / bike mechanic local to you can take it to?

And / or a rough idea of your location as maybe somebody nearby can help in person.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
im in liverpool/ skelmersdale , there is as good bloke in ormskirk that ive used for a few jobs , but im kind of wanting to learn how to do it myself. maybe this one is beyond me though for the time being

just a bit annoying having to take it somewhere for such a minor thing hence wanting to learn .

·
Registered
37 Posts
you mean heat up the plastic?

ok so i bought another plastic guard and that also rubs so it seems i have bent the bracket somehow. i have a few options

• heat the plastic to a new shape
  • bend the metal bracket
  • chop a bit of the plastic away so it doesnt rub anymore
- my preference is to bend the bracket. i cant get an adjustable on away that i can force it because of its profile. can anyone confirm if this steel or alumimium? dont know if i can just whack it or not

cheers
yes, heat up the plastic and bend to need ( keep holding to new position until it cools again or strap it to its new position using a tape until cold) - A magnet will do the job but if you go on a bumpy road, the magnet will stop being effective and will detach ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes, heat up the plastic and bend to need ( keep holding to new position until it cools again or strap it to its new position using a tape until cold) - A magnet will do the job but if you go on a bumpy road, the magnet will stop being effective and will detach ...
hi grbeiz, i think you minsunderstood. the magnet was just to check if the bracket holding the chain guard is steel or aluminium. i wanted to know if if it was aluminium or not to determine how sensitive i had to be with it incase it buckled/snapped

·
Registered
785 Posts
This shows how easy it is to bend a bracket (and this is just lightly tacked)

Put some cloth on the bracket to protect the paint.

Literally a minute or two job unless you need to take the rear wheel out for better access.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you notice the curve in the bracket away from the chain? Or the fact that the paint at the base of the bracket has lifted away? Both consistent with a bent bracket. I've bent mine back by hand at least once after a similar incident.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did you notice the curve in the bracket away from the chain? Or the fact that the paint at the base of the bracket has lifted away? Both consistent with a bent bracket. I've bent mine back by hand at least once after a similar incident.
hi jackflash

(still havnt got round to doing this job..) just riding without a chain guard atm

it doesnt look like the bracket is curving away from the chain. its hard to percieve a bend by eye but the paint is lifted at the base of the bracket so im thinking its likely its moved a few mm

sounds like it takes very little force to bend

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a fairly light bracket and should bend easily. That means it should bend back into place without breaking too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
And any paint that has flaked from the bracket just wire brush/sand away, degrease and touch up with Hammerite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well the saga is concluded. managed to get it back into line at the weekend, and the guard is back on with no issue. need to hammerite before winter :)

thanks for the help all

21 - 30 of 30 Posts