Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do

I'm after some help/advice about the oil warning lights on the 700.

Riding in to work today - second day back after a week or so off - and one of the red lights on the dash starts flashing. Initially it blinked a couple of times, but then came on and off under acceleration and braking. Unfortunately, I've got no idea what the light means because it's not marked and the owners manual is at home. Since I was in three lanes of fast moving traffic, there wasn't anywhere to stop, so I gingerly limped to where I needed to be, again with the off-and-on again lights. But this time, I'd noticed the oil light was also flashing.

I've checked the oil, and unless it should be measured with the bike on the side stand, the levels are normal (I'm pretty sure it should be measured when the bike is upright). The bike ran no hotter than it usually would - as documented elsewhere, these things don't like slow traffic for any length of time - so although the temp reached 102 (at which point the fan kicked in and brought the temp down), that's pretty much an everyday occurrence on the route I ride. And worryingly, I'm going to need to limp it home later so I've bought a litre of oil, just in case.

So I'm stumped as to what the disco lights are all about. It's been a little while since I changed the oil, so I'm wondering whether viscosity might be a factor - although I can't remember seeing anything about that in the manuals. I've also seen a couple of posts on forums about similar issues, but not found any conclusive answers. Given all the other factors, the most obvious starting point seems to be a fault with the pressure switch - I'm really hoping it's either on its way out or has got stuck through lack of use. But I'd really like to hear other opinions in case I'm missing something. And if anyone's got an owners manual handy, it'd be really good to know what that red light indicates.

I should probably add that I've rebuilt one of these engines before, so I'm fairly familiar with the internals and the mechanics, but the electrics less so.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The red light is from abs sensor, im not sure there is more than one red light

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks people - that's very kind.

Yup - it's the MIL I was referring to; it was flashing with the oil warning light. Since the earlier post, I've let the bike cool and ridden twenty-odd miles with no recurrence of either light. Dropped the oil and it looked OK - crucially there was plenty of it. And despite having ordered a new one, I've cleaned out the switch for good measure.

All a bit odd and disconcerting TBH. I'll keep an eye on things and see whether there's any change over the next couple of hundred miles or so.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Don't forget to change the oil filter as well. When i had the oil light coming on, on my cb1000 i removed the oil pressure switch and turned the engine over without starting it to see if oil was getting pumped out for my own piece of mind to my relief it was and a new switch fixed the problem hope its as simple for you :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I'd add another quick point to this thread for any future readers.

Seems I may have been overthinking the whole thing. For the life of me I can't remember what the weather was like when the original light-blinking incident happened, but it happened again recently during heavy rain. Given the date of the original post, I strongly suspect it was raining back then, too and I didn't realise the significance. In my case, the weather was the problem . . . more specifically, it was water collecting in/not draining from the rubber boot that covers the pressure switch that was giving false positives.

During the most recent episode I was riding on the motorway in the pissing rain. The external temperature was low, airflow over the engine was great and since changing the oil there's been no signs of loss or excessive use; the radiator coolant had also recently been topped off. So when the light came on again with the engine temp at around 75deg, I checked the oil level and realised there had to be something else going on. It definitely wasn't a coolant issue or low oil level. Suspecting a poor/loose connection at the switch, I reached down to the switch housing and as I poked the rubber boot that covers the switch, rainwater poured out. I pulled the boot off and emptied it . . . and the light went off. And stayed off.

Turns out it's quite easy to short the circuit. The switch centre is isolated from the body by a plastic ring that's about 2mm wide. When enough water collects in the boot, that gap isn't enough to prevent a short circuit; the water carries electricity from the inner part of the switch to the body, and the light goes on because the switch itself is bypassed. I've since tried to orient the boot in such a way that it protects the switch but allows water to drain. Takes a bit of thought, but it's not that hard.

So no more disco lights. And yeah, it's a relief that in my case it was something really, really dumb.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Thanks for the update i had a similar problem when i changed all the dash bulbs to LED, when out in the rain i found the oil light coming on and sometimes the neutral light when it was in gear. I put the original bulbs back in the problem never returned :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ran my X!700VA9 , when I first got it with no oil light working. Suddenly realised it NEVER illuminated. !! A new switch soon cured that !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts