Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2009 XL700V, which I love but which has been used and abused as a commuter all year round since new ( 8 years now ).

It's getting to the stage where I'm beginning to think about doing something with the front forks - not so much a re-spring / re-valve, but more that the external parts of the fork lowers are now showing ( quite a bit of ) bubbling , some corrosion and the beginnings of some pitting on the fork stanchions. It's nothing that needs doing urgently , but getting to the stage where I perhaps ought to be making some plans.

The fork stanchions bits I can clean up , but has anyone got to the stage of replacing or refurbishing the front forks ( surely someone must have ) ?

If replacement then what with ? Like for like / OEM or something exotic ?

Likewise if refurbishment then what ( or who ) ? Just a grind down / treat / prime / repaint or something more exotic ?

Whatever I do , I don't really want the bike to be off the road for too long if possible.

I've had a bit of a browse on ebay, various new complete items are available ( best I've seen so far are new ones from Germany ), or maybe an alternative would be to get a second hand set, refurbish that and just swap the whole lot over ?

I don't want anything that's going to change the ride height or stance substantially ( I'm a shorty ) , neither am I after the ultimate Dakar competition appendage, but I'd like to know what's out there and whether anyone has done this already with these bikes - either out of necessity or out of a desire for an upgrade .

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
DIY refurb would be easy and cheap enough, strip the forks & paint/powdercoat the lowers.
If the stanchions are pitted in the useable area maybe bank on getting them chromed.
Fit new seals & all new bushes & oil change will improve them anyway.

Being damper rod, they cannot be revalved as such but damping can be (supposedly) improved by fitting Ricors or Gold valve emulators.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts